Super Contributor

Re: Jewelry Novice would appreciate your Expert opinion

I personally don't think his jewelry is worth as much as it's being sold for, not on Q anyway. I have roots in Indonesia, in Bali (my paternal grandmother) and Java (where both my parents were born) and the crocodile is very much a part of my culture, so I understand the mystique behind this line. I have a few crocodile pieces myself made in Indonesia, not of his line, and I only paid a fraction of the cost for them. However, I do think that his pieces are beautiful and seem to be well made, and if you are able to buy them and you love them, then by all means wear them in health. I also appreciate the fact that he seems to be popularizing the lore and myth of the crocodile, a creature both terrifying and fascinating.

Honored Contributor

These pieces are nicely made and based on the couple of pieces I own are sturdy and are good jewelry. As others have said, jewelry is a personal choice and part of the value is in the item's value to each of us as individuals. All that said, for what it is, I think the pieces are over-priced. I've looked at adding other pieces from this line, but ultimately have decided I didn't want any of them enough to pay the freight. It seems as though when they retired Angela and introduced Jai, they also decided to up the ante.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

On 9/15/2014 MsCatLuver said: Hello Jewelry Experts. I just purchased the JAI John Hardy Sterling Silver & 14K Croco Chain Link 20" Necklace $699.96 and JAI John Hardy Sterling & 14K Accent Gemstone Croco Wrap Ring $189. My question to you is whether you think the Q prices are " reasonable" based on: the materials used (sterling & 14K accent); the weight of the pieces; etc.. I know beauty is subjective - so my question is solely based on the factual information of the pieces ( not personal design taste). Thanks very much for your opinions.

My opinion is that it is not worth it. It looks clunky. It has a dead reptile head on a chain with a loop to put the "tail" through and it is morbid, imo. Don't get me wrong, I know this is a design, but the head dangling there, just is odd and unbalanced with that loop sitting oddly. The face is precious though, cute. But not the rest of the necklace.

One other thing. If someone grabbed the head of the crock and tried to steal your necklace, you'd be in trouble (and yanking chains happens everywhere if someone eyes something they want even in "safe" places).

But if you are in love with it, it's your choice! This is my personal opinion and I don't care for it and also don't see it as having the value of $700.00 if I had seen it without the price tag.

Contributor

with all due respect, comparing native american jewelry to Balinese jewelry is apples and oranges. Do YOU like it? When you look at figural jewelry from John Hardy's (not Jai) line, do you feel like it is a fair deal.

In my opinion, I much prefer the croco stuff to the more matronly looking Judith Ripka stuff which is just as expensive if not more.

Honored Contributor

On 9/22/2014 sweetiekitty said:

with all due respect, comparing native american jewelry to Balinese jewelry is apples and oranges. Do YOU like it? When you look at figural jewelry from John Hardy's (not Jai) line, do you feel like it is a fair deal.

In my opinion, I much prefer the croco stuff to the more matronly looking Judith Ripka stuff which is just as expensive if not more.

I think both the Jai and Ripka lines are overpriced for what they are, but hers is perhaps more-so. To the extent either feature faux diamonds, I'm simply not interested at the prices often being suggested.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 9/22/2014 sweetiekitty said:

In judging the differences, I consider the amount of silver and materials used and the amount of labor that went into making the pieces, as well as the level of skill involved. You can't compare a finely hand-crafted piece with something churned out by a factory. That is...if you have any appreciation for finely made goods.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

You are paying for the name, but if you love it then it is worth it to you. Enjoy and wear your beautiful jewelry in good health!
Super Contributor

Is a sterling cuff with a 14kt gold accent and blue topaz stones worth $775? Well, if you love that particular designer, it is. If these are pieces you love and want to wear, then I think it is a good purchase...if it sits in your jewelry box unworn then it isn't. Only you can decide that one.