Super Contributor
On 2/28/2014 shoptheQ said:

My recollection is that this necklace was not a Jay King item - he extoled how he had gotten a ""great buy"" on this black agate necklace from someone he knew in the business and he was ""passing on"" this great buy to his HSN customers. Does not take away from the fact that Jay King was selling this fake necklace to the public.

A year later it was not worth my time and effort to go after HSN. Instead I just don't shop there anymore.

But you're happy to slander Jay on the internet.

Respected Contributor

My recollection is that this necklace was not a Jay King item - he extoled how he had gotten a "great buy" on this black agate necklace from someone he knew in the business and he was "passing on" this great buy to his HSN customers. Does not take away from the fact that Jay King was selling this fake necklace to the public.

A year later it was not worth my time and effort to go after HSN. Instead I just don't shop there anymore.

I would have taken a photo of the necklace and mailed it to Jay with your information. I don't know if he has a website, but if you still have the necklace, you could still let him know. It's possible that the 'friend' swindled Jay's company and substituted glass after guaranteeing that they would be black agate.

Jay may not even be aware of this. He has built a reputation with his customers, so he has a lot to lose and he would probably really appreciate your feedback.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Regular Contributor

Stones are nice and quite unique but, the silver settings are cheap and skimpy. This is why I stopped buying his items.

Valued Contributor

Slander ???????? Just a consumer alerting buyers to be aware.

Super Contributor

You've spent more time posting about your mystery necklace (which you admit is not even a Jay King item) than it would have taken you to contact HSN.

Super Contributor
I'd get a second opinion. My mom had a bunch of her stuff from HSN appraised, costing her $50, and everything came back as either what HSN appraised it or slightly higher. This was by Kennedy Jewelers. She was very satisfied by what they told her.
Esteemed Contributor
Enjoy your new necklace Kachina! Wear it well.
Honored Contributor

Kachina, thanks for the review. Your necklace looks lovely.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

I will NEVER buy anything again from Jay King. First and last purchase was a "black agate" necklace he offered. About a year later I was in my local jewelry store and just for the heck of it I asked the jeweler to give a quick appraisal of the necklace - he told me IT WAS GLASS NOT BLACK AGATE.

That ended my doing any shopping at HSN !!

{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

I don't think your jeweler is much of a gemologist. Agate is volcanic silica which has hardened so yes, it is a naturally occurring form of glass. Here is the formal description:

Agate is a microcrystalline variety of quartz (silica), chiefly chalcedony, characterized by its fineness of grain and brightness of color. Although agates may be found in various kinds of rock, they are classically associated with volcanic rocks but can be common in certain metamorphic rocks.

Best to do a little research before criticizing someone's product and broadcasting misinformation!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

If you can't spend the time and effort to contact HSN and Jay King,I don't believe your story. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}