Super Contributor

Re: Jay King Bangle TSV on HSN at Midnight

I'm pretty much with "Corvette Mary" - love to watch him entertain us with his stories -- but it's been a long, long time since I bought any of his jewelry - what he's putting out now is really awful and way too expensive and he has the "gall" to act like he's giving us a bargain!!

Frequent Contributor

I also enjoy watching him and appreciate the variety of stones he beings in but imho the quality is just not there for the $$s in many cases and I hate so much is made in China.

Honored Contributor

Mollysmama, if you buy turquoise anywhere, but especially on TV, you'll get it stabilized. Over 95% of what's sold is stabilized. You'd have a hard time finding some that isn't. Turquoise is a soft, porous stone and if it isn't treated, with exposure to skin oils, perfumes, hair spray or just elements in the air, it will eventually turn an unattractive shade of green. Now Jay King started some years ago selling composite turquoise. It's bits and pieces which are bonded together with a resin, possibly dyed, then formed into a block which is cut and polished like a natural stone. You can easily see the shapes of the scraps. Study the pictures and you'll see it.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Kachina624, thanks for the reply. You're exactly right - I was thinking composite, but it came out stabilized. I'm not an expert, but have been going to Gallup for years, when I can, and that's where I buy the majority of my turquoise jewelry - either old pawn, or at least from sellers I've been buying from for years. I also love wandering around the square in Albuquerque - I would be in big trouble if I lived in NM Smiley Happy Thanks again for correcting me - I always appreciate the knowledge Smiley Happy