Respected Contributor

Re: Jay King Bangle TSV on HSN at Midnight

I love watching jewelry shows and I've bought some pieces from his line in the past but I'm just watching this time. I was wondering about the compression issue, too.

Enjoy them if you get them.

Honored Contributor

I've got a set of Indian-made bangles that I never (or rarely) remove. I like to add other bangles or beads in color to match whatever I'm wearing so I got the turquoise bangle. I typically wear 7 or 8 at a time. The composite is much harder than stabilized turquoise so I don't mind it for a bangle as they take a beating.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I'll look at it again in a couple months when it's on sale.

Esteemed Contributor

I've never bought anything from Jay (because I think he needs a new design team), but his stories are interesting. He seems to be very knowledgeable about gems and mining, but I won't sit around and watch hour after hour of his presentations. I make no claims of such knowledge, so at least when making a purchasing decision, I have a little idea of what to expect in a quality piece.

Honored Contributor

I liked those bangles but I would want three to wear together - when I added that up I thought maybe not!

Super Contributor

On 12/28/2014 Chi-town girl said: Jay's shows are interesting since he discusses the origin & regions that are the source of the gemstones. And he has a great rapport with hosts & customers. I still laugh when he discuss the "source" of the calsilica. ..how no one including he is allowed at the secret mexican mine, a bit squirrelly, lol. But it seems he has altered his spiel about it being mined, as we suspect it is man made. I like some of his chunky gemstone jewelry-the tigers eye, garnet, smoky quartz, variscite, leopard agate, and bumblebee. The TS was not appealing to me, but looks like a great price point. Do like the new circle pendants with enhancer bale so you can attach to beaded necklaces as well as chains or collar necklace . For those who purchased-enjoy!!!

I agree about the rainbow calsilica controversy. JK seemed to have a rehearsed spiel, I saw him present the bangles twice and he repeated it practically word for word. Sketchy. He should just come out and say it's probably man made. It's been determined to contain man made pigments and plastic bonding agents. I don't trust him for this reason. Not to mention they don't discuss that some gems are compressed etc. I agree with Trix also, he really needs new designers. A six year old could do better.

Honored Contributor

I think his TS items lack in quality & uniqueness, except for that reversable turq/calsilica tennis bracelet-a very nice quality design & materials. Every TS I bought of his has been returned due to quality-the turq earring set that included J & spinning earrings-looked great on tv as they were hand selected, but get them home, mismatched stones in terms of color, thin lightweight silver. Same for the turq TS necklaces. The TS necklace he did with SB turq chips with black tourmaline, item 340-653, awful-cheap & plastic look-returned the same day as received. His chunky gemstone jewelry and some of his higher priced gallery pieces are nice, and excellent buys when offered as clearance.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 Penellope said:
On 12/28/2014 Chi-town girl said: Jay's shows are interesting since he discusses the origin & regions that are the source of the gemstones. And he has a great rapport with hosts & customers. I still laugh when he discuss the "source" of the calsilica. ..how no one including he is allowed at the secret mexican mine, a bit squirrelly, lol. But it seems he has altered his spiel about it being mined, as we suspect it is man made. I like some of his chunky gemstone jewelry-the tigers eye, garnet, smoky quartz, variscite, leopard agate, and bumblebee. The TS was not appealing to me, but looks like a great price point. Do like the new circle pendants with enhancer bale so you can attach to beaded necklaces as well as chains or collar necklace . For those who purchased-enjoy!!!

I agree about the rainbow calsilica controversy. JK seemed to have a rehearsed spiel, I saw him present the bangles twice and he repeated it practically word for word. Sketchy. He should just come out and say it's probably man made. It's been determined to contain man made pigments and plastic bonding agents. I don't trust him for this reason. Not to mention they don't discuss that some gems are compressed etc. I agree with Trix also, he really needs new designers. A six year old could do better.

Yes, the calsilica story is very sketchy. The "secret" inaccessible mine, just an excuse so he can claim "ignorance" about it being man made. I saw a few segments today and he seems to be much more careful about his words in discussing calsilica, but plenty of stammering to suugest deception. Yet he also suggested that you better hurry & buy it b/c it will not be around after this next year...oh boy, after wearing out the story of the Sleeping Beauty mine closing, next is the Calsilica mine-err, um, uh-facility is closing, lol!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Super Contributor

I'm enjoying his shows today. I'm not getting a bangle however I did order a petrified wood necklace and ring. I've gotten a couple of petrified wood necklaces in the past which are very nice. Very earthy!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I like this type of bangle that is so easy to put on and have the similar ones he did in bronze and turquoise and coral and love them so got the turquoise one in silver. I have the reversible line bracelet too and although I agree his designs aren't always the best these 2 bracelet styles are great classics. I'm a fan of rainbow calsilica but passed on it today.