Super Contributor
I bought a beautiful large opal ring set in gold from a jewelry store estate section about 20 years ago. It was $450 on a 20% off sale. It is beyond gorgeous, a pale blue with many flashes of pink, peach and all the other colors great opals have. It is my birthstone and I am glad I bought it then. I have never seen a genuine opal on QVC that wasn't white or pale...not counting doublets. Or fire opals. I rarely wear it, because they are fragile. I wear it for going out or other special occasions. They are fragile because of their high water content. Anyway, truly high quality opals are very, very expensive. Mine is a very large oval cabachon in a plain bezel setting. The stone is the star. I don't know how many stones are in the necklace you are talking about, but $1300 is reasonable for a large opal if it is set in gold. You won't get much for $300 in retail. Plus you really need to see an opal in person...they don't show well on camera.
Super Contributor

Ethiopian opals are known to be more stable and durable than Australian opals, and much more affordable. I just received a round Ethiopian opal ring, J293412, today and the opal is colorful and clean. I agree they vary a lot and you never know what you will get. I've been disappointed with purchases from other retailers. Etsy has many bead strands like the $1300 necklace, with great variation in price, starting well below $100.

Respected Contributor

I'm surprised this item is so expensive. I couldn't find a video for a better look..

Super Contributor

I see Jay is on tonight ... anyone know what the special will be?

Super Contributor
On 7/8/2014 ennui1 said:

Rainbow calsilica?

Super Contributor

I kind of like this better (and a lot more affordable):

Honored Contributor
On 7/8/2014 ennui1 said:

They showed a brief look at the TS-a reversible necklace with thin banded leather, turquiose and rainbow calsilica. Easy "pass" decision for me. Didn't like his last TS-the SB pieced necklace or this one. Not great quality and priced too high.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor
Michael Valitutti is having a clearance sale today on SHq on his Gems en Vogue jewelry. I just ordered his gorgeous Ethiopian opal ring. Probably in a year I won't be able to afford one. I have a beautiful Australian opal ring set in gold with very colorful fire that I never wear.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Funny you should say that because I just took a large Opal white gold ring that I have had for over 30 years in to be appraised today and the jeweler said it was worth at least $600 but then he saw a crack in the opal - which I had never even noticed and he said they crack easily over time - so now it's probably only worth about $300.