Respected Contributor

Re: Jared, Kay, Zales -- Closing Stores

Strong  economies and high salaries are key to expensive jewelry purchases--millenial jobs in the "gig economy" do not pay well.

Not only is less fine jewelry being sold in the U.S., but when big companies buy up their competition (Zales used to be under another company--Kay also put UltraDiamonds out of business), the variety tanks and the prices go up.

Sad to see that happening all too frequently.  Many noble names in the retail industry have disappeared forever. 

Online shopping may be the new practice right now, but malls could come back into style with future generations--who knows?

Finally, gold is a valuable commodity worldwide and people from other nations are making more purchases, even if Americans are not. Many countries' banks have recently increased their investments in gold as well. 

Honored Contributor

My daughter works at one of the jewelry stores mentioned.  She has been working there for 18 years.  She stopped in last night and I asked her if she knew stores were closing.  She said she was aware of it and was not surprised.

Her comments on this situation.  She said Zales has been in trouble for years.  It was purchased while it was in trouble.  Some of those stores were earmarked for closing since they were acquired.

All non preforming jewelry stores will be closed. In the area where we live, we have several Kay and Zales stores.  They are all doing very well and are profitable.  There is talk that they will leave the Malls and build one big super store at a non mall location in our area, as well as other areas across the US.

I asked her who is buying jewelry today.  She said every age group.  She said young people are buying jewelry as well as older people. There are always those who appreciate jewelry and if they do, they are buying.  They buy on credit, but they are buying.

Honored Contributor

In my area they are currently building a Kay's store alone.  We have a Jared's in our huge mall and while during the week the store is dead but come the weekends, they have alot of people shopping in the store.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

"I just took my rings to Kay for repair. I looked down at my ring one evening and the diamond was gone. My heart sunk thinking there’s no way I’ll ever find it, but began tracing my steps. Then I suddenly thought to check my pocket of the jeans I had on . ...there it was, the diamond !!
I screamed. I couldn’t believe my wonderful luck 🥰.

The thought has has crossed my mind, I hope the jewelry store is honest and puts my diamond back in my ring and not a lesser quality one. I wonder if this ever happens.

eta....I just googled this out of curiosity, and found that Kay has been accused of swapping stones out for cheap imitations . 😫" 

I believe Zales is in litigation with more than one party over this exact issue. 

I believe I read that with both Kay and Zales, there's a little line in the sales contract that says the jeweler can and will replace the stone you originally bought with a lesser quality stone, any time they feel like. As you can imagine, more than a few people take issue with this. I would never buy anything truly worth having from any of these type stores, just over this one policy. 

Now, this is beside the point for me as I consider these stores to have the most boring, generic jewelery possible, nothing there tempts me.... but its something to think about. Read that contract all the way through! this is nothing less than outright theft.

Honored Contributor

I highly recommend taking your jewelry for repair to Jareds.  I took my engagement ring to get inspected and good thing I did as my three of my prongs were bent.  They showed it to me under the scope.  They took pictures of the diamond and emailed them to me.  They asked if I was picking up the ring or someone else and what is their name.  When I did pick it up they took pictures again and emailed them to me and showed me both pictures to prove it was my ring.  I have heard for years that Kay's sends out rings and does swap out the diamond.  I like that Jared does all repairs on site.

Esteemed Contributor

I have never been inside a mall jewelry store since the mid 1970s. Really. I've never been inside a Zales store or any of the others mentioned. All of my jewelry was purchased from either The Shopping Channel in Canada, QVC in the U.S. or at T.J. Maxx or the Ross stores in the U.S. or Winners in Canada. It's not surprising to see mall jewelry stores close. I've noticed it quite a bit even in Canada. The only jewelry store I ever see people in is the Pandora store and that's only when there's some kind of special going on.

Honored Contributor

good news for QVC LOL

Regular Contributor

I've lived in NYC since 1987 so malls aren't in my life anymore, but I do go when I visit my mom in Cleveland once or twice a year.  Last time was Thanksgiving 2018.  We went to a couple.  Severance, which was a traditional mall when I still lived there, but has become more of a strip mall in the years since I left (you have to enter each store from outside now).  They've basically replaced the old enclosed mall with new stores that are entered from outside.  Many of these stores have been closed.  I don't know the name of the other place we went, but a Walmart was the main attraction.  I've also been to a place called Legacy Village with her, but I think that was in the summer of 2018 and have been to Richmond Mall which was around when I still lived there.

I missed malls some when I first moved to NYC somewhat.  Actually, I missed having a car and convenience parking.  32 years later, I don't care. 

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

I've been noticing for several years now that women are wearing less jewelry, especially the younger ladies.  I've noticed it alot on TV, Maria Bartiromo wears brooches but I see almost no jewelry on the other ladies. 

I wonder if its because women don't necessarily feel safe wearing a lot of jewelry out and about. I know awhile back we were going out for a day of shopping in the big city, and I started to wear a tennis bracelet and dh was nice about it, but he told me with all the crime we hear about there, he would rather I didn't wear it.

Sad times we are living in.

No, I think it's because people are smarter and they are not purchasing high priced jewelry from jewelry stores.  Another poster stated that the younger people are not falling for this overpriced stuff lol.  

Trusted Contributor

I can't remember the last time I went to a mall--online shopping is more convenient and takes a lot less time.  Don't think I've ever bought anything at a chain jeweler.  Vegas has a lot of individually-owned jewelers and that's where I shop when I buy in a store.  Been going to the same jeweler for probably 40 years and like dealing with them; if you ask "is that the best you can do?" they will often make you a better deal.  Also, they do jewelry repairs and will redesign your pieces any way you want on-site.  They remember you when you come in and are friendly and accommodating.  I doubt you'd get that kind of service at a chain store, so I'm not too surprised they're losing business.

I've noticed that the younger people wear a lot of costume-type jewelry.  I've noticed it on my daughter, and she was raised to love and appreciate good jewelery.  Maybe it is the style for them; younger people are more swayed by the latest thing than are more mature people.

Over on the Strip there are lots of high-end jewelers (Gucci, Bulgari, ect.) to cater to the wealthy tourists who come here from other countries.  Not my thing at all.  In fact, I usually stay away from the Strip because everything is so overpriced.