Super Contributor

Re: Jared, Kay, Zales -- Closing Stores

Reading your comments makes me realize why my husband and I have shopped at the same family own jewelry store for over 25 years.

Their customer service is excellent. They've had the same people working for them all these years so they know about diamonds, gem stones, and how to change batteries on any brand of watch.

I like that you can negotionite prices. All you have to do is ask, will you take this amount for this piece of jewelry? They always take something off for us. You can't do this at a mall jewelry store. What's on the tag is what you're going to pay.

Decor, our jewelry store, has quality jewelry. I can't believe that some people will pay a lot for a piece that's I3. It's the worst quality there is.

I think a lot of malls and stand alone stores will go out of business because it's just so easy to shop online. You can get on your computer while in your jammies and order anything you want.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

All of my Effy jewelry I have purchased from Macy's on sale. From diamonds to gemstones. I got great deais. My John Hardy Jewelry about 50% from TJ Maxx and about 35% Neiman Marcus Last Call, the other 15% a purchase from JR Dunn,(I call and gave them the item # and I received the jewelry the next day)My Lagos jewelry majority was purchased from TJ Maxx, my panda pendant was purchased from eBay.

I went in to Kay Jewelers one time and they sales  people we're all over you like bees on honey. I turned around and walked out..

My last two jewelry pieces where from Etsy a vintage three dimensional Bali small cross pendant.Also a vintage oval pendant with Basset Hound on the front and a dog paw on the back, the bale is dog bone.Also signed by the artist.The items were made in the late 80s and 90s.

The young generation do not buy as much jewelry, I believe they would invest in the latest gadgets. And people in mine Generations are buying less jewelry,(60's)

Valued Contributor

Instead of investing in more jewelry, I need to make comments on my computer instead of my iPad, because using my voice to type out my comments,keeps changing.That or invest in a voice coach.My last post I change the comments twice due to words being change and I miss a few, as you can see.😘

Trusted Contributor

The fine-jewelry industry made two big mistakes when they kept their high markups and regular price increases regardless of the costs of the components (gold, silver, stones...etc.) and market forces.  Great bench jewelers are still working and demanding high prices though, and I'm worried how much a simple custom piece is going to cost me even though I'm supplying the gold and diamonds.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.