Respected Contributor

Re: Jared, Kay, Zales -- Closing Stores

I was at the mall yesterday.

Our malls are still busy, especially in the summer when it’s 110 degrees outside.

I don’t know how these jewelry stores have survived this long. There never anyone in their stores.

Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

I've been noticing for several years now that women are wearing less jewelry, especially the younger ladies.  I've noticed it alot on TV, Maria Bartiromo wears brooches but I see almost no jewelry on the other ladies. 

Maria wears very nice jewelry often. I see long Van Cliff necklaces on her. Jeanine Pirro wears very nice sets of jewelry , beautiful rings!

Super Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper This took me by surprise. I'm going to Jared's for years.

Frequent Contributor

I don't know if this is an underlying factor or not, but I recently read an article (in an online newspaper...can't remember which oneSmiley Frustrated...- may have been the NY Times and am running out the door now, so I don't have time to research, which had an EXTENSIVE article on a MAJOR sex discrimination/bias case against Sterling Jewelers (I can't recall if it has been settled as of today's date).

There may have been smaller lawsuits over the years which have been settled.  This suit alleges that hundreds of women experienced equal pay and promotions discrimination.... as well as (mainly years back--80's to mid 2000's) women who were even sexually assaulted!! Seems that there were many stores (over the various brands) that the culture of sexual harrassment was prevalent. In this particular case, there were plaintiffs referring to even the CEO and his sexual affairs....Woman Sad.

Esteemed Contributor

My mom has purchased several pieces at the Jared near her. A few years ago, my parents gave me a gold/diamond watch that cost several thousand dollars, and they purchased a lifetime service plan with it.  When I take it to a Jared near me (not the Jared store where it was purchased) to get the battery changed, they always give me a hard time. The last time the lady was so rude I said I was going to drive several miles out of my way next time to try another Jared location. Based on that experience, I can see why some may not want to shop there.

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

My mom has purchased several pieces at the Jared near her. A few years ago, my parents gave me a gold/diamond watch that cost several thousand dollars, and they purchased a lifetime service plan with it.  When I take it to a Jared near me (not the Jared store where it was purchased) to get the battery changed, they always give me a hard time. The last time the lady was so rude I said I was going to drive several miles out of my way next time to try another Jared location. Based on that experience, I can see why some may not want to shop there.

@wildcat fan...you should notify their corporate office. You should never be treated that way!! I used to work for Tiffany's and we had someone in customer service who was rude to customers. I received a few complaints and this employee was warned, continued the bad behavior and she was eventually fired. Companies like to know what is going on in their service areas which are a reflection of the store on the whole.

I am sorry this happened to you...

Honored Contributor

I find it interesting that any jewelry store I have ever walked by in a mall or even in my local fred meyers is always empty... not one customer.  I always wondered how they paid the help let alone make any money.

Honored Contributor

I've got jewelry from Kay and Jared's.  I think I bought something from Zales - it was a small diamond cross that fell off the chain years ago and got mutilated by a walk behind vacuum cleaner.  No fixing that one.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

A couple of these companies were sued for not putting in the quality diamonds that the customer order and giving them inferior quality. 

I would never buy from them.

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t recall the last time I visited a mall.