Honored Contributor

Re: Jared, Kay, Zales -- Closing Stores

@queendiva ...I do very little online shopping.  I am in the mall either window shopping or purchasing about 1x month.....if I am purchasing clothing, I want to try it on first.  Online will never be my first choice.

Respected Contributor

Thank you @Hoovermom ....I had to leave the ring for repair on the band that actually broke when I was picking up large rocks to build a waterfall (dumb me for not taking it off) and I had lost any documents I had over the 50 years of moving many times . I should have had it appraised before taking it in 😥.

Valued Contributor

@queendiva, I do go to the mall once in awhile. I don't buy a lot there and the stores I've mostly shopped from are all going out of business but I still like to go in once in awhile to browse the stores. I was in one of our local malls at Christmas on a few different occasions and I was surprised at how empty it was even then. It makes me sad. We used to go all the time when my husband and I were first married and raising a family together.  I remember years ago they'd even do trick-or-treating in the mall so if you had bad weather, you had a place to go indoors. We did that on a few occasions as we've been known to have a snowstorm or two right at Halloween. Now with so many of my favorites having closed, I'm not sure how much I will shop there in the future. I am not a jewelry person so the jewelry stores don't get my business anyway but there are others I enjoy going to. They do still have the Hallmark store we like to frequent. Wonder how long that will last?

Respected Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@lmt  Off topic......Is that your cat in your avatar?  He/she looks a lot like my guy Al, except Al is a little darker.  My avatar is of Al when he was about 4-5 weeks old.  He's almost 4 years now, and weighs 15 lbs!

@2blonde  No, it's not my cat.

I was looking for a cat for my avatar and saw this beauty and grabbed it. I have an 11 year old tabby, maybe someday I'll use her picture. 

If your little guy looks like my avatar he's a handsome little fella!

Heartcats!!!

Regular Contributor

I guess "he didn't" go to Jareds! Ha! Not enuff anyways!
Honored Contributor

@catnappurr wrote:
I guess "he didn't" go to Jareds! Ha! Not enuff anyways!

Or not enough kissesWoman LOL..."Every kiss begins with Kay"...lol!

Honored Contributor

My niece worked for a local jeweler when she was in college and told us the mark up was 400 %, I couldn't believe it. The millennial's are not buying diamond engagement rings if they can get away with it. When Best Co. in Md. started selling diamond jewelry 45 years ago that was pretty much the end of jewelry store purchases for me, until the Q came along. I'm surprised it took this long for them to go under.

Esteemed Contributor

Last week, went to a small mall, close to where I live it does have a zales. The week before that, I went to a much larger mall with at least 3 different jewelry stores, but I was only there helping a friend find a dress, we weren't jewelry shopping.

However, I do like to shop from home. Can find more variety online. The only thing is, some fits, some does not. And the cost of sending it back.

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

I've been noticing for several years now that women are wearing less jewelry, especially the younger ladies.  I've noticed it alot on TV, Maria Bartiromo wears brooches but I see almost no jewelry on the other ladies. 

I wonder if its because women don't necessarily feel safe wearing a lot of jewelry out and about. I know awhile back we were going out for a day of shopping in the big city, and I started to wear a tennis bracelet and dh was nice about it, but he told me with all the crime we hear about there, he would rather I didn't wear it.

Sad times we are living in.

Honored Contributor

I don't think I've ever been in any of these. I know I've never been in Jared's. Luckily we have some independent stores around us if we need anything. DD's close friend's dad is a jeweler and has his own shop; if I need anything specific or a nice gift that's where I go.

DD and her friends are "into" high end costume jewelry. Right now, their obsession is Kendra Scott. They offer parties where the girls can make their own jewelry. They also order a lot online. Pandora and Alex and Ani are still popular too. Troll, which we started for DD a long while back, does not seem to be as popular.

If I really want a nice piece of jewelry, I usually order it here! I like AW and CP, but now I'm all about Linea too! Smiley Happy