Contributor

Re: Jaqueline Kennedy Jewelry?

Anniecamp, I hear you, I made up my mind earlier this morning, to store it the way I do all my jewelry, I would find it a hassle to put them in the steel boxes they came in. None of my other fashion jewelry ever lost it's finish, so I am hoping the same for the few pieces I purchased of the Kennedy jewelry. I will keep it flat, and not next to anything else, I am sure it will be fine. I fiqure there is enough to stress about in life then whether the jewelry will tarnish. So I am just going to enjoy it, keep it where I can easily put it on when dressing. But the company did tell me no anti tarnish material should not come near the jewelry.
Respected Contributor

On 4/30/2014 ladycd said: Scottie, I would also keep the boxes closed, and not have the air get to your pieces. I know how you must be enjoying them, with the boxes open, but I think better to be safe then sorry. You sound like you have a great collection. I am sure your heartbroken not to see these shows anymore. I am too. I always enjoyed watching Phil, and listening to all the great stories about Jackie Kennedy. I am sad that I will not have them to look forward to. To think it took me all this time to buy the paper clip necklace.

You are probably right. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Respected Contributor

On 4/30/2014 ladycd said: Anniecamp, I hear you, I made up my mind earlier this morning, to store it the way I do all my jewelry, I would find it a hassle to put them in the steel boxes they came in. None of my other fashion jewelry ever lost it's finish, so I am hoping the same for the few pieces I purchased of the Kennedy jewelry. I will keep it flat, and not next to anything else, I am sure it will be fine. I fiqure there is enough to stress about in life then whether the jewelry will tarnish. So I am just going to enjoy it, keep it where I can easily put it on when dressing. But the company did tell me no anti tarnish material should not come near the jewelry.

I like that attitude! I am glad to learn about the anti-tarnish jewelry armoirs tho. I won't put mine in there for sure.

Respected Contributor

I wanted to let you girls know dd got her berry pin today from Kamrose and Cross. It is very very pretty and the size is great. That's it tho! We are done....unless the other cross we have on waitlist comes through.

ETA: Oh my gosh. Just checked the J153810 cross is now in process from waitlist!

Contributor

I went on a Princess cruise to Alaska last year, & the Jacqueline Kennedy collection was being sold on the ship.
Contributor

Phil Katz always said that if the factory that produced the glass pearls ever ceased production, the Jackie Kennedy collection was over. When Camrose and Kross started the line, there were 8 factories in Czechoslovakia producing the glass pearls. Over the years, it dwindled to one. He learned sometime last year that the one remaining factory was closing, but it closed much sooner than he had expected. According to Mr. Katz, they sent Camrose the remaining pearls and they have made the pieces they needed to. Mr. Katz was adamant they were NOT going to produce plastic pearls for Jackie's reproductions. Therefore, after the factory closed it was decided that after a 15 year run (10 on QVC), the line would cease.

I like that in order to preserve the integrity of our collections, the molds were destroyed. It was touching when he tried not to cry on national television when he smashed the dual-berry mold. I cried when he destroyed the Castellani wedding bracelet mold.

You might also try jackiesjewelry.com for some pieces; it is the Camrose and Kross site.

Contributor

On 4/30/2014 Anniecamp said:

I'm confused. So, the verdict is not to keep the JBK pieces in anti-tarnish containers, but only in their original metal boxes and closed?

I have a lot of JBK jewelry, much of it purchased long before they had it on the Q. Some, I keep in my armoire, & the rest in the original boxes. So far, no problem at all, but I'd rather do it the way Camrose & Kross recommends.

The original boxes are great, but it's a hassle to figure out what's in what box, etc.

I realize that some people "take pictures" and tape it to the boxes, etc. yada yada.....I don't have a camera for that, and it's too much of a bother. My complaint is, I don't want to goo up the boxe's velvet finish, either.

I kept all of the cardboard slip covers that came with the Jackie jewelry and wrote on the outside on the cardboard what the piece was. For those that did not have the slip covers, I just took an acid-free piece of paper and made a tag indicating what was in the box. That's what Jackie did, and also Princess Diana did the same thing, too, with her jewelry. In fact, I do this for all my jewelry, not just Jackie's.

Perhaps this helps?

Valued Contributor

Westernlady, why didn't I think of that?! I've kept my cardboard sleeves, and could just write the description on them. The items I wear frequently, like the paperclip necklace, etc., are in my jewelry armoire. It's not anti tarnish, so that doesn't seem to be a problem. Thanks for the suggestion!

Super Contributor

I bought the paperclip necklace a few years ago and I like it but I seldom wear it. I have subsequently learned that Coco Chanel was a N*azi spy and that's another reason I don't wear it. I'm sorry that her estate might have received a single penny from my purchase.

I've thought about tossing it and I might still.

New Contributor

Did you wear the paper clip necklace? Did it mainain the color over time, or did it tarnish?

I did buy it too, together with the matching bracelet, and I am afraid to wear them. I did wear the lion triple necklace and it got tarnished right away. The manufacturer does not seem to hionor the warranty.