Valued Contributor

I purchased a  two- tone cross from Jai when it 1st appeared on QVC.I compare it to my John Hardy jewelry,equal quality and design. Although I have  not purchase anything else, I do like most of his designs. Especially the newest leopard combo.I love JH thick weave bracelets and wide band rings.Jai has some band rings, but I like JH better.

Honored Contributor

I often wondered this myself.  Whenever Jill Bauer presents the line, she always mentions that she has John Hardy pieces and the reference is that her bracelets are more couture and elevated.  She explains that the Jai line is based off them and also lovely.  So in one fell swoop she is saying hers are better, but Lai jewelry is nice too (she wears both).

I've tried to put that out of my mind when she presents Jai jewelry so I can just look at the jewelry.  I just wish Jill would stop saying that in all her Jai presentations; to me it sounds somewhat elitist and it's a turnoff. 

Of course, that's probably just my problem and nothing else.  I'll own that. 

Super Contributor

Re: Jai vs John Hardy

[ Edited ]

It is about different line, but whenever I wear DY ring, I get compliments. I think this particular design, albion, is copied so much, it is no longer a novelty. Still, it is noticed. If I wear a copy of DY, or I would say a close version, like CP chains are close enough. I don't get compliements. The quality and feelings of the designer pieces are different. DY bracelets are heavier. The same with Jai and John Hardy. I don't know the technology, but the metal is treated better in John Hardy line. I have a band ring from Jai, the back of the ring worn out. The silver he uses is way too soft.

Respected Contributor
@caaarefulshopper- I read your posts and I laughed because I know exactly the reference your making about Jill and her bracelets. She does tend to be a bit obnoxious at times about it also. Maybe she doesn't intend for that - but it does happen. She wears the wrist full of her John Hardys almost everyday. So - in answerto your question- no, it's not you imagining., it's evident. And I'm not jealous - because I own
Several very expensive pieces. ( Kali earrings , Kali necklace, Kali bracelet..)
Honored Contributor

When the Jai line started on the Q, it was called Jai by John Hardy. Women who were paying a lot of money for John Hardy objected to the line on Q being associated w/ their expensive pieces. It was first represented by a woman who said she was designing for JH which only made the problem worse. 

The Jai line is the same weight and same quality, but different designs so not confused w/ John Hardy. It brings in extra money by being priced lower for more people to afford much like "bridge" lines of designer clothes. Calvin Klein has CK One, Donna Karan...DKNY, etc. 

Respected Contributor
Yup - your right Shanus!
Frequent Contributor

@CoastalGal

I imagine the only reason we are paying more for John Hardy is the name.  JAI is great quality pieces.

Honored Contributor

@Pitzel. ....and other good, different designs.

Valued Contributor

Angela use to have her own line Angela by John Hardy, then was dropped. The Scott came with with Jai by John Hardy and was dropped by John Hardy for reasons that was unsaid. But he decided to continue his own line and just call it JAI. I only bought one peice after he left JH and i felt it wasnt as quality or substantial. 

Respected Contributor

I received the leopard enhancer and the 72" spinel necklace today.  They are surprisingly beautiful.