Honored Contributor

Re: Jackie Kennedy's Cartier Watch

@stevieb  Often a family will keep a piece or sell it themselves just to keep it from falling into the wrong hands.  This is a good example of why they do that.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

The watch that Kim purchased is gorgeous!  I love it, but I remember the other one (also sold here) had a large man's face and a leather braided strap.... sure could be wrong but that's what I'm remembering.  I didn't buy either, but prefered the one Kim bought....

@Q4u  I have that watch; I haven't seen it in a long time.  Must be with my dead battery collection.  I like the larger watches. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I always sorta wondered about the accuracy of the background stories they told on QVC about Jackie Kennedy's various pieces of jewelry. Because I sometimes read different background stories in the press/online/etc. about particular pieces. And the line sold on QVC wasn't authorized by Jackie's estate so they weren't getting the stories from her family.

Honored Contributor

@mzlg wrote:

@stevieb

5 Pieces Commissioned - 3 Created

Five bracelets were reported on the books, however, only three bracelets were ever crafted.

"The third was commissioned for Princesse de Bogali of Milan by her husband. The Princesse died thirteen years prior to having the bracelet made. As an eternal expression of his love, he paid Castellani three times the value of the bracelet to never make another."

~

HubPages

Castellani Jewelry - Artful Innovations and the Most Famous Bracelet in the World

Kelly Kline Burnett - updated 5/15/2014

The article has more information & photos.

Person Bracelet Was Commission For
Country of Origin
Location/Ownership
1. Lady Enid Layard
1. United Kingdom
British Museum, London, UK
2. Gwendolyn Talbot, Princesse Borghese.
2. Italy
Jackie Kennedy
3. Princesse de Bogali of Milan
3 Italy
Milan, Italy (open to the public beginning Spring 2015)

@mzlg How lovely of you to provide such interesting information... I always liked the bracelet, but never ordered it. I think sometimes I still might... I wonder what any of the three real ones are worth today. I shudder to imagine... I also wonder who has Jackie's, whether it's owned and worn by family or if it's been donated to a museum or some other display.

Woman Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@stevieb  Often a family will keep a piece or sell it themselves just to keep it from falling into the wrong hands.  This is a good example of why they do that.

@Kachina624 It makes perfect sense to me... Like I postulated, you almost have to figure this wasn't a piece that meant a great deal to her or the family...

Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Truth to tell, I'm actually rather shocked KK would choose something so diminutive and tasteful... I suspect it's the name value that got her...

Trusted Contributor

@stevieb,  I do have the Castellani bracelet, I really like wearing it ... just not in summer.

There are a few of these JBK bracelets on e-bay.

~

Honored Contributor

Could anyone make out the engraving on the back of this watch?   It was very hard to read.

Trusted Contributor

It says in the 2nd article:

Stas to Jackie

23 Feb '63

2:05 AM to 9:35 PM

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, my stars Beth! What did I do that was wrong?  I saw two "outside" links, as you would say, in a post in this topic, so I am a little confused???  You know the Kennedy Center is similar to Metropolitan Opera House or Carnegie Hall in that they are performing arts venues, so no politics here. Is that the problem?  Please forgive my faux pas.