Honored Contributor

Re: JUDITH RIPKA JEWELRY LINE

[ Edited ]

Well, this is Big News ... for me.

I find the JR watches sold on Ebay to be an interesting assortment on any given day, and like to see what's selling online.

Last week I bid on a stainless steel bracelet watch with MOP and deployment clasp.   The starting bid was $14.99 and I decided what the heck, I'll place a low bid, assuming it would jump to over $100 quickly, and I'd never get it.   I assumed that because at the same time, there were 2 other auctions for this watch ... one at $149 and the other at $269.    Same exact watch.

Well, I got the watch for a whopping $27!   No kidding, and he put in a new battery for me before shipping!     Well, it arrived this morning, and I have to say .... I love my $27 Judith Ripka watch.   

A Christmas present from me to me.  

Image 1 - Rare Judith Ripka Ladies Elegant Mother Of Pearl Dial Stainless Steel MOP Watch

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

Years ago I used to see a lot of Judith Ripka fine jewelry in department stores like Bloomies, but I found the prices to be rather high and she often used man-made stones.

Her silver jewelry always did the best on QVC, and she was able to offer pieces that were similar to her couture line, but at a much lower price.

Personally I never purchased any of her line UNTIL she began to carry gold here on the Q. There were some fair prices during sale times, and all of her gold jewelry featured genuine stones, including pretty decent diamonds. I think her heavier-weight and more expensive pieces were the best--exquisite design with a lot of intricate detail, strong construction, good gold weight, attractive stones, and very unique settings and closures.  

She really did love to come on the Q and explain her design process.  (She was known as the Queen of Hearts for all her heart diamond details, which then morphed into "cherries.")

About the same time, Judith started a more budget-friendly line of gold jewelry at the department store Lord & Taylor.  However, her pieces did not sell well, and sadly, the department store permanently closed.

To me, some of the newer pieces that are being marketed on the Judith Ripka website resemble more the simpler Ripka line than her previous QVC creations.

My favorites will always be the more traditional and fanciful gold elaborate designs, but they can be more costly, and I do not think there was a big market for them, especially among younger generation shoppers.

Some people sell out but still keep a toe in the water, like Isaac.  I know she had a great career, and now she is probably enjoying her retirement with her many millions. 

Because Xcel owns the intellectual property rights to these vendors, they can basically design what they want, but there is a definite difference when the founding creative artist exits the scene.

@FancyPhillyshopper 

Interesting .... I never wear any yellow metals, just the white metals ... sterling, white gold, stainless and platinum.

I have Ripka sterling and stainless steel watches and and a ring ....  and have been happy with the pieces I have.  

My favorite watch has a large face of turquoise (no matrix, but not sure if it's SB turquoise) and a white leather strap.  I get compliments on it every time I wear it.

Respected Contributor

I bought Ripka's diamonique bezel chrono watches in yellow gold, rose gold and silver.  I generally wear one of those watches on a daily basis.  They are all lovely.  and look as good as the day I purchased.  I think they were about $240 each.

New Contributor

Can someone explain why Judith Ripka can no longer be sent to California?  I've tried to order new pieces today, and I get a message stating that they cannot be sent to California.  This is ridiculous.  Someone from JR needs to contact QVC and send them the appropriate paperwork to send to California residents.  

Honored Contributor

@Kakui1212 wrote:

Can someone explain why Judith Ripka can no longer be sent to California?  I've tried to order new pieces today, and I get a message stating that they cannot be sent to California.  This is ridiculous.  Someone from JR needs to contact QVC and send them the appropriate paperwork to send to California residents.  

@Kakui1212 

Huh ... I live in CA and haven't seen anything to that effect.  Did it show on the individual ad or when you were going through the checkout process?

Have you called Customer Service?   If it's accurate, I bet it has something to do with a Prop 65 chemical of some sort.    

Super Contributor

Tinkrbl44

I too look for JR jewelry on Ebay.  I am looking for her sapphire ring that I returned years ago and am waiting for my size and a reasonable price.  Here it is:

sapphire.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bigLou wrote:

Tinkrbl44

I too look for JR jewelry on Ebay.  I am looking for her sapphire ring that I returned years ago and am waiting for my size and a reasonable price.  Here it is:

sapphire.jpg

@bigLou 

LOL  ...   I also started looking at the JR rings on Ebay .... really interesting pieces.  Good luck with your search for the ring!    Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

There are vintage pieces on Etsy, too.

New Contributor

When I went to check out, the message stated it could not be shipped to my address in San Francisco.  I've never seen that before with Judith Ripka, and I have a vast collection from QVC.  I've called Customer Service before, and they stated that the manufacturer didn't submit the proper paperwork that's needed for California.    

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

I have that watch and paid a lot more from qvc.  I honestly don't wear it often as the face is too large for my skinny wrists.  I  do love the design though.