Honored Contributor

Re: JR is laughing all he way to the bank!

MargoChanning that comment you made about Judith Ripka is so funny, that's why I check the forums, I love to see the way people express themselves. As far as the threads repeating themselves, well every thing old is new again. I too collected JR back when it was affordable and the silver was weighty, but I haven't bought any thing in years.

Respected Contributor

On 3/22/2014 RetRN said:

She comes across as very ""uppity"" to me. I don't care for her or her jewelry.

Lol!!

You took the EXACT words I was going to post. I wouldn't spend a penny on her stuff.

Respected Contributor

On 3/23/2014 Margo Channing said:

JR is NOT laughing all the way to the bank--her face is frozen into the ""I smell a f@rt"" look.

Like this?

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/23/2014 GoodStuff said:
On 3/21/2014 MrsLorraine said:

Some people have more money than sense. I think JR might as well stick a gun in your ribs...it's highway robbery. Of course no one is FORCED to buy but I think the way she markets it, presents it, is deceitful.

I think the prices are ridiculous, but I disagree that it's comparable to "sticking a gun in your ribs". These purchases are totally voluntary, totally without coercion, and these pieces of jewelry are not items we need to stay alive and healthy. Yes, the sales techniques are clever and winning.......but that's how successful sales are done. I haven't heard any lies about what the jewelry pieces are made of, how much they weigh, etc. Lots of superlative adjectives and oohing and aahing -- but those aspects are subjective. The simple fact is, purchasers voluntarily sit through a skillful TV sales presentation and then voluntarily decide to buy. It's up to us to listen, analyze, think, hang on to our wallets, and make wise decisions. Or not.

I won't buy anything from JR at these prices, but I'll defend her freedom to sell it if she can. Whatever the market will bear.

I completely agree. It's business, and everyone involved is in the business of making money. As long as people are willing to pay, that's what they'll continue to charge. And they would be foolish not to do so. Prices are - as you said - "what the market will bear". Many, many things that all of us routinely buy are grossly overpriced.

So the lesson IMO is simply for people not to buy if they think her stuff is junk, overpriced, or whatever. But clearly enough people are keeping her in business, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I have no problem with JR personally or with anything she sells. However, I don't own any of it. So I am not taking her side or blindly supporting her. I just strongly feel that she's just as entitled as anyone else to sell her things and price them as she (and/or QVC) sees fit. It's free enterprise, nothing more and nothing less. Kiss

Trusted Contributor

On 3/21/2014 sparklestar said:
On 3/21/2014 probablynot said:
On 3/21/2014 12andcounting said:
On 3/21/2014 luvpoos said:

I agree also, I have never really cared for her line even years ago when it was less expensive. It's just not my style. To me she comes across as very smug and looks like the cat that ate the canary.

I totally agree. And she comes across as such a phony, in my opinion. I can't watch her shows - her phoniness coupled with the hosts fawning over her is too much to take.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

she acts as though she is so much better than anyone,especially her 'ripkanistas"

I think people choose to look at her that way.

You can't say a bad word about her or her ripkanistas will jump all over you! I'll be waiting. Really what has she done for all her loyal fans beside charge such outrageous prices? I don't ever like to say unkind things about any vendor but she is one I cannot watch. IMO she is snooty. Why, because she is a designer who most people don't even know? I have a few of her earlier pieces when they were more affordable and again just my opinion, she was more down to earth. She was an attractive woman but now when I saw her while changing channels, I couldn't believe the way she looks, since i haven't watched her shows for quite awhile, I couldn't see her eyes, they looked half closed. I guess she has had some major work done but of course that is her prerogative but guess who's paying for it? She does look good with her weight loss though.
Trusted Contributor

I haven't read Vogue or Bazaar in years, but I have seen a Town & Country or two in the recent past. Judith Ripka is a T&C type of brand - that is, the New York/Florida axis. If the line had a heavy celebrity (especially with hiphop/rap people)/red carpet presence, it would be a different story. The whole Madison Avenue spiel doesn't work anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/24/2014 sashamatthews said:

I haven't read Vogue or Bazaar in years, but I have seen a Town & Country or two in the recent past. Judith Ripka is a T&C type of brand - that is, the New York/Florida axis. If the line had a heavy celebrity (especially with hiphop/rap people)/red carpet presence, it would be a different story. The whole Madison Avenue spiel doesn't work anymore.

A piece of Judith's was an 'Oprah's favorite things' 10+ years ago - that sealed the celebrity status (as it does with many brands, Spanx for instance).

Trusted Contributor

Not everyone watched oprah and you're talking 10 + years ago. I'm sure there are many who don't remember that and besides that was when her prices were much lower and she probably had more customers. I wear pieces that I bought years ago and if someone compliments the piece and asks about it and I tell them it's a JR, they ask 'who's that or never heard of her" and I live in the NY area. I was in Neiman Marcus and a saleswoman complimented me on a bracelet she didn't know who JR was. I don't understand why certain people buy at outrageous prices or any price for status, thinking everyone will know its a JR! That is just not the case. I'm not saying everyone who buys her pieces think that way but I've read many posts throughout the years where people believe that when they wear her pieces they are immediately recognized. I buy what I like and it doesn't matter if it's a designer piece or not.