Honored Contributor

JEWELRY OVERHAUL AND ELIMINATION

[ Edited ]

I realized, when on the beauty forum and reading about "overhaul and using less", I've done the same thing with my jewelry.

Mask wearing eliminated many hoops with butterfly backs that always got hung up on the mask...ones that hooked within the back of hoop were my choice. I stopped wearing any studs that were "good ones", too, unless we were going out or masks were not needed. All my long necklaces/chains have been put away, too. They didn't work with such casual clothing over the last year and now, they seem to look overdone...got used to not wearing them. Any shorter necklaces that were thicker look like too much with a mask, too...now look too heavy. 

Has anyone else re-vamped their jewelry and are wearing much less?

Honored Contributor

Re: JEWELRY OVERHAUL AND ELIMINATION

No

Honored Contributor

actually yes

as some may know I have a resell side hustle

I went thru all my jewelry and eliminated a huge percent of it, like the trendy stuff, the costume stuff etc, some vintage stuff,

just keep the real and designer

not buying anymore of the moment or beady-y stuff

Respected Contributor

I have been systematically thinning out the jewelry stash for a few years now. The pandemic made me rethink what would work with masks for sure. I don't wear statement necklaces and have a few long chains I'll keep because they are versatile. Not going anywhere for so long has changed my habits. I don't wear much jewelry anymore and my makeup is minimal and I like it...and so does my skin. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus 

Nope--love it all and brought it all back. Never stopped wearing jewelry, even though I worked from home a lot. Same with makeup, although I nixed the foundation and my skin has never been better.  But the blush is out again, along with lipgloss.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ShanusMaybe I've been ahead of the trend.

Last year I really started thinking more about my gold jewelry that I wasn't wearing and would likely never wear again. I also had a very heavy, solid 14K charm bracelet and some 18K pieces that belonged to my mother and, I just never wore them.  Even though It was all just sitting in the bank vault, something kept me from parting ways with any of it  for quite a few years.  I've been loving and wearing all my sterling pieces for a long time, it actually looks better on me than gold does.

In early January I visited US Gold Buyers and sold almost all my gold jewelry when it hit about $2000 per ounce. It felt so liberating to do that, I can't describe how positive and freeing it was. Over $9000 added to my bank account was terrific too.

BTW, since I've lived in Florida for half my life, I haven't worn foundation in 30 something years. Maybe tinted moisturizer, always SPF.  I can honestly testify your skin only gets better with less face makeup and more skincare.

Honored Contributor

Yes, sold most of my gold pieces a few years back. When I cleaned out my jewelry drawer, I threw out a lot of costume pieces. Once I retired, I wasn't wearing much jewelry. Still have earrings, bracelets and rings that I bought from QVC in the 1990's. I like them too much to part with everything.

Honored Contributor

I haven't given or gotten rid of anything.

Honored Contributor

I'm actually still buying!  

I've always worn southwestern, but DD has gotten me interested in other brands. I really like T. Jazelle beaded bracelets. DD has a few friends who make jewelry. One of them travels around to gem shows to get the best natural stones. I ask her for a certain color or color combination and she makes 3 or 4 beaded bracelets. She will let me select what I want before she sells the rest on Instagram. If I don't like any of them that's OK. I like the fact that these are natural stones. I'm sure the quality isn't the best, but it's pretty good and it makes me happy!Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I consider any real gold jewelry to be portable wealth. Easy to flee with, if needed.