Respected Contributor

Re: JAI Baby Hand Ring - Has anyone else experienced this?

@IROLYNOT I don't think your body heat is to blame, it's the design of the piece.  The rings and bracelets that are open at the ends and allow you to adjust the size by squeezing the ends together, along with the thinness in the middle, are the cause of the problem.  A jeweler can fix it for you, but it will probably happen again over time.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@IROLYNOT I don't think your body heat is to blame, it's the design of the piece.  The rings and bracelets that are open at the ends and allow you to adjust the size by squeezing the ends together, along with the thinness in the middle, are the cause of the problem.  A jeweler can fix it for you, but it will probably happen again over time.

I agree.  It's not as strong as a complete circle. Even just squeezing your fingers together puts pressure on that cuff style, and combine that with gripping and carrying things, that spot where it broke simply weakened over  time.

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@IROLYNOT  You are talking about a ring that could be 7 years old. It looks like it just split in half at the thinnest point of the shank. if you love the ring take it to a jeweler and have it repaired.

I agree with this post.  

Super Contributor

Irolynot, I bought this ring around the time that you did and wore it a few times, but it has just been sitting in my jewelry box for several years.  I just looked for it, and it is quite tarnished, but I am sure I can shine it up pretty easily with an antitarnish cloth.  I do not have my information from the Q, and I don't remember how it was sized.  It seems like I remember it being sized as small, medium or large instead of individual sizes.  It is adjustable, so probably the size would not matter as much as other rings.

I wear a size 7 on my middle finger and that is the finger I wore it on.  It could probably fit a smaller size, but I don't know if it could fit a size much larger than mine.  If you want to give me your email address, I could then contact you privately and  get your mailing address.  I would be glad to send my ring to you if you think it would work with your finger size.  That problem may happen again in the future, but you could at least wear it a while and have time to research a fix in case it happens again. 

I know it must be hard to have this happen to a cherished piece.  I honestly have not thought about the ring in years and would be glad to share mine with you.  Let me know if you would like me to send it.

Honored Contributor

Kcubed is really a gracious person.  I don't think this ring was ever resized.  The open design kind of prevents the need for that.  Silver is actually a soft metal and the fact it was worn for 7 years makes this metal failure more comprehensible.  A jeweler could fix this for far less than the Ebay prices. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@IROLYNOT   To me, i t looks like it just split, broke at a weak point where the ring is designed thin to fit more comfortably. Not sure if it will be replaced, damaged, by Q and or JAI. 

Confused that ring was purchased 2015-2016/17 and just received it on Friday?

@Shanus I think she wore it up until Friday Jan. 14, 2022.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead