Frequent Contributor

Re: J365693 14K Gold Black Opal and Diamond Ring

[ Edited ]

Yes, very tempted @FancyPhillyshopper. I did contemplate it for a few hours, but in the end it was a WANT and not a NEED.

The darker green and blue colors are what drew me to the ring. Those are my favorite colors. I found them to be more vibrant than the regular Australian opals. I also prefer the more economical, lighter colored Ethopian opals over the Australian blue opals. I had a lighter Ethopian opal given to me 30 years ago and it did chip. Although Peyton said the black opal was harder than the other opals, I would still hate to have something happen to a $4800 ring. So, I will continue my research. Maybe someday the stars will align and I'll find something that I like at the right time.

Thank you for all your suggestions. Happy Holidays!

Edited due to brain fog.

Trusted Contributor

I have an Australian opal ring and pendant that is a pretty good size and mined in Lightning Ridge.  I periodically soak mine in a bit of water as my sister told me to do that and so far no problems with either.  I also own an Ethiopian ring. pendant and earrings and they are wearing well.  I never wear my opals around the house; only when I go out.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Forgot to add I wear the Ethiopian pendant on a beautiful strand of Ethiopians beads and it looks amazing.  I always get compliments when I do as the strand sets the pendant off.  I also have the Ethiopian earrings to match.

Valued Contributor

@crawford5153 I love opals of all types and your pieces sound lovely.  I do not have a black Lightning Ridge opal; it's on my wish list.   I have a large lighter colored Australian opal ring in a beautiful setting for several years now and have had no trouble with it.  Fingers crossed on that one, I would be heartbroken if it cracked!  My MIL gifted me with a gorgeous antique opal stick pin with lots of orange, blue and yellow flash.  I wear that one rarely because I am so worried I will lose it!  

I agree with the OP Peyton's ring caught my eye as well!  I did not buy it but boy I sure thought about it.  Let's check the reviews and see what others think.

Honored Contributor

My mom gave me a pair of Australian black opal earrings. She bought them in Hawaii when she was there on vacation. They are solid opals (not triplets, doublets or mosaic) and display all colors including red which I believe red makes them more valuable. I've had them for a very long time.Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee Those earrings sound gorgeous! I agree about the solid opal comment too.  In my mind, if you are going to buy opals get the solid ones not little slivers!

Honored Contributor

My opal earrings are very beautiful @chvall99 . I saved the box and the tag which came with them and the tag says "Flame" on it. I'm not sure what that means but they sure do look like they are on fire to me!Woman Very Happy

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Trusted Contributor

You are so right....I always but solid opals.  They are the  valuable ones.  And the more valuable ones have more red in them.  I would never purchase doublets or triplets.  it  is such a tiny amout of opal.....you are paying for the plastic that covers the opal.  And I'm not paying a lot of money for plastic. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chvall99 wrote:

@crawford5153 I love opals of all types and your pieces sound lovely.  I do not have a black Lightning Ridge opal; it's on my wish list.   I have a large lighter colored Australian opal ring in a beautiful setting for several years now and have had no trouble with it.  Fingers crossed on that one, I would be heartbroken if it cracked!  My MIL gifted me with a gorgeous antique opal stick pin with lots of orange, blue and yellow flash.  I wear that one rarely because I am so worried I will lose it!  

I agree with the OP Peyton's ring caught my eye as well!  I did not buy it but boy I sure thought about it.  Let's check the reviews and see what others think.

My sister has a black opal ring but I do not.  Her husband just bought it for her one day as a just because gift.  It is lovely and she seldom wears it now as she has really bad arthritis in her fingers.  

@chvall99 Just got my Australian opal ring out to measure the stone; it is 16 by 10 and has red, blue green, and even a shade of lavender in it.  One each side is one diamond that is around 20 points each.  The man who sold me the ring also sells opals to the man who comes on Gem Shopping called Mark "The Opal Hunter".  The pendant is  12 by 10 and is pear shaped, with a 25 point diamond on the top. it is Australian also.  Forgot I had an Ethiopian opal ring surrounded by a halo of diamonds and also the pendant and matching earrings.  

Yes. we will check the reviews on the ring and see what others are saying.

I really need to get mine out and start wearing them more.  Seems I am on this all gold kick for the time being. Before that it was an all diamond kick lol.

Honored Contributor

To be frank, that ring doesn't do much for me, but that hardly matters.  I say this because even if I LOVED it, I wouldn't make a purchase like that from the Q.  First of all, you don't know what the stone you would actually receive actually looks like, and secondly, I don't trust them not to cut corners with the gold weight,  and the diamond weight and quality.  They are notorious for hollowing out gold, and not being frank about their diamonds.