Super Contributor

Re: It's the holidays - not enough jewelry shows!

I agree. I'm so tired of the clothing, cooking and electronic shows. Of course there's nothing wrong with them but why don't they through in a jewelry show at least once a day like they used to?

I've bought a lot of pieces from QVC. I was checking out the sales last night on some of the mall stores, Macy's and Penney's. Wow! I could not believe the sky high prices even on sale. And most of thier diamond pieces are graded H-I-J and I2. Some are even I3 and that's the worst grade for stones. After seeing that I don't think I'll be complaining much anymore about the cost of jewelry here.

Please have more jewelry shows though and let's see some new pieces.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Par for the course. They bore their customers into oblivion before they finally thow out a few bones in the form of jewelry shows. That's how QVC rolls and nothing ever seems to change. Probably never will. One of many reasons I've given up even trying to watch what they have on offer on any kind of regular basis.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

JTV has a nice on this morning.  Smiley Happy Some times you have to look elsewhere for jewelry.  Evine has a great variety and JTV has lovely pieces.  

Honored Contributor

I so agree----remember in the olden ages of QVC-----Woman Very Happy---when Kathy Levine would do her once in a lifetime jewelry shows???  I loved those shows!! 

Regular Visitor

Count me in on that, was hoping to buy pieces like in the past for my daughter, granddaughter and daughter in law as well.  They have all come to expect jewelry from me and this year it wont happen.

Respected Contributor

Jewelry is a big seller for gifts. Never meant a woman yet that did not like to get jewelry.

One more reason to shop elsewhere...

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@lmt wrote:

IMO, the focus on jewelry shows started changing in late 2001. Up until then, jewelry seemed to be a very big focus. Virtually every day of the week had at least one, if not several, jewelry shows. 

I think a few things happened ......

1. I think the programming changed after 9/11. Sure QVC still had jewelry shows, but not like how it used to be. After 9/11, I read an article (in reference to shopping) that said that people were repriortizing their lives. Material items (like jewelry) were sort of pushed to the side in favor of a focus on the home enviroment. A place to feel safe and secure with family and friends. Slowly, jewelry was replaced with more kitchen and home items being shown.

2. The younger generation, the Millennials and Generation X, are not buying jewelry the way the Baby Boomers did. When I'm out, I rarely see younger women wearing any jewelry, let alone fine jewelry. If they're wearing anything, it's a piece of costume jewelry. As a Baby Boomer myself, I've amassed a large collection of jewelry over the years. How much jewelry do I really need, especially since I'm retired and have a different lifestyle now? OK, i'll confess to a piece of JAI every now and then. Smiley Wink

3. We all know the cost of gold has gone way, way up since the good old days. For the most part, if you want a substantial gold jewelry item, you'll be paying in the upper hundreds to low thousands for it. How many people have that kind of discretionary income? The more modest priced gold jewelry is now either hollow, or so thin it would bend or break. And although silver is cheaper, it too has gone up in price. For what I used to pay for a nice gold piece, I'm now paying for silver.

4. QVC goes where the money flows. Today it's all about electronics. I can't go anywhere without seeing younger people glued to their phones or music. They're walking, driving, shopping and they always have an electronic device in their hands or in their ears. And it seems like every six months or so, a new (better) version of whatever comes on the market and it's a must have. This must be QVC's cash cow since they have endless hours of electronics, appliances, phones etc.

#5.  Q's jewelry inventory is pretty lousy, particularly in gold.  

Honored Contributor

Turn on the TV got jewelry out the wazoo today

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my opinion, quite a few misconceptions abounding here... One is that electronics sell... Of course, if that's all they throw out there, then they're bound to move some of them, but quarter after quarter, review of QVC's financial reports indicate that electronics are not the big seller some seem to assume they are... I'd personally also question the 'uniqueness' of what QVC puts out there... At one time, maybe, at this point, I'm not seeing it... And finally, fake diamonds are of no more interest to me than would be another day of pads, tablets, cameras, practical presents or cookware... At the end of the day, it's just costume jewelry... And fake diamonds seem to be an awful lot of what they have on offer today... Even when they are showing actual fine jewelry, which isn't often, QVC pretty much lost their jewelry mojo several years back when they all but got out of the business and I don't see them recapturing it. Uninspired offerings at not such great prices... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...