Honored Contributor

Re: It’s hard to pick moonstone jewelry online.

Moonstone is my current favorite stone.  I am a moon child and have always loved it - it seems very mystical and mysterious!  My husband bought me a few small items for the holidays from Etsy.  I like small jewelry right now -- it suits me better.  I got all sterling silver.  A ring with an oval stone, a necklace, a bracelet, 2 pairs of stud earrings - one very tiny and the other a bit larger.  These all seem to be pretty consistent even though they were purchased from different shops.  They have a lovely irredescent quality which show pinks and blues in them.  I don't know if Etsy has any larger peices but you could check.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I love rainbow moonstone.  Sometimes I find Q items are  mislabeled.  Items can be called rainbow moonstone when they are not and vice versa.  This wouldn't bug me as much if their photos were better.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

I find the most accurate colors on Etsy.  There's a large moonstone (1 3/4 x ?)  with a silver surround.  It's too close to the size I have now.  Just put in "large moonstone pendants").

Trusted Contributor

Moonstone is my favorite but it has to be the right "color".

I don't care for a rainbow moonstone at all. 

It must be gray but a clean gray not opaque otherwise it looks cloudy...like glue. I have one and it's gorgeous but small. If I could find it in a large oval carat weight, I would make it my wedding ring. *sigh*

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Super Contributor

That's how I feel about opal and larimar.  If I'm not looking at the exact item I'm buying, then I'll buy in person instead.  I've gotten burned by buying larimar, wound up with a piece with a lot of gray matrix.  Back it went, and I learned my lesson.

Respected Contributor

i LOVE Moonstone !!  the best moonstone ring i own i found at a local gift shop that specializes in silver jewelry. it's big, rainbow stone in a pretty but simple setting.  a few years ago i had ordered Nicky Butler moonstone rings and exchanged them 2x due to cracks. i have an HSN Sajen Silver moonstone ring. even that one has a crack. i still like it as the setting is so pretty. i got a moonstone ring from Sajen when they debuted at Shop LC and would not recommend their line at Shop LC.  i do not trust SLC any longer so  don't order from them anymore.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D - I agree that moonstone, especially rainbow moonstone, is difficult to purchase online. Ditto opal, kunzite, and labradorite.  Sometimes a vendor can be trusted to select top gems.  I have had great luck with Victoria Wieck (Ethiopian opal) and Dallas Prince (kunzite), and I was glad I took a gamble and ordered from them as the gems I received are insanely beautiful.  

I have not purchased rainbow moonstone online, but when seen in person at a boutique, it is so very appealing.  I have two rainbow moonstones set in silver - one in a pendant and one in a ring - purchased a couple of decades ago.  

Honored Contributor

My problem has been turquoise, so I own very little at this point.  I used to get shipped green instead of the blue color shown and I was dumb enough to keep it.  I ended up selling it off on Ebay.