Honored Contributor

It’s hard to pick moonstone jewelry online.

[ Edited ]

It’s hard to pick moonstone jewelry online. I guess I need to do so in-person, but right now I'm not into doing this. I just can't see if the stone in the ring I've been eyeing here on Q is a pretty moonstone or not. There are no reviews yet and it's been two weeks since the ring first appeared. 

Corrected for many typos. Sorry.

Honored Contributor

Re: It’s hard to pick moonstone jewelry online.

@Mindy D.  Almost impossible to choose good moonstone or opal online or even on TV.  On TV they tend to pick the best out of hundreds to show and what you get is often a whole different stone.  You've got to see the play of color in person to choose a good one.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I've had pretty good luck selecting moonstone here on the Q.  When Peyton .Kelley brings in a piece, it's usually good.

What ring are you looking at?

Honored Contributor

I have a beautiful Moonstone ring from Victoria Wieck from 8 years ago, lovely. 

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it's really difficult to choose any kind of 'phenomenon' type gem based on a picture or from seeing them on TV, for instance opals, moonstone...anything that changes with the light. 

One time I wanted to buy some opal earrings from a shopping network so I ended up buying three pairs of the same earring. When I got them at home I picked the best looking ones and sent the other two back. For me that was the only way I could see the variations in the same stone.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

https://www.hsn.com/products/colleen-lopez-sterling-silver-moonstone-and-marcasite-r/9874885

I love this one !!!

@Shelbelle @Whoa, you're not kidding. I love it and the earrings. Gorgeous. Thank you. 

Respected Contributor

My nicest Moonstones are from Nicky Butler who use to be on HSN now on shophq. I have a tennis bracelet of Moonstones from his line that is one of my favorites . I also find his vintage pieces on ebay.

Valued Contributor

I hear you. The last Chan Luu necklace I bought in a sale had moonstone drops. 

That company uses low grade gemstones. High prices, cheap quality, but some of their designs can be so pretty.

I had to coat one of the stones with my sheer opalescent nail polish topcoat. Exchanging the necklace wasn’t an easy option in this particular case. It looks great now but I only got away with it because it’s a necklace and the stone doesn’t make contact with anything.

Honored Contributor

Moonstone can range from blue to an olive green, to gray or a combination.  Be very careful.