Valued Contributor

Re: Is this piece way overpriced or is it just me?

What really matters once you decide you can afford it, is if you love it. I have not seen this collection in CP, and it may be a retiring one. If you want this specific design and will wear it and love it, then it will be worth it. If you send it back, and it is a retired design, you might find it again on ebay, but then it might cost even more or you might find 10 of them for less or you might never see it again. That's a lot of possible scenarios. So, what you have to decide today is if you love it.

Regular Contributor

Bottom line is that there is a huge mark up on jewelry....always has been. But many took advantage when gold skyrocketed to increase the price on silver. Of course labor has gone up over the years and other expenses as well, but with the JR and CP and other "name" brands you are paying a certain premium for the name. I used to by some JR pieces years ago but her prices are just ridiculous (to me) and I do not even consider her pieces anymore. But everyone has different tastes.

Look at the prices people will pay for costume pieces like Heidi Daus...I have had people seriously tell me they buy her jewelry for investment....(guess it will depend what they buy, some may be worth something in the future but it will all depend on demand since the items really have minimal base value).

Most of buy pieces of reasonable cost with no real expectations of selling it. We select pieces we like and enjoy. So if you pay a price you can afford, then really nothing else matters.

Respected Contributor

I had not even looked at anything from CP in a very long time due to her price increases. I am now retired, & don't wear much jewelry at all. I have tried to sell several of my CP items, with no luck. I have them cheap compared to what I paid & the current prices. I took a look last night at some of her new pieces. I don't care for them at all, not even looking like "southwest" anymore. Too many gemstones & not the natural stones. I have lost interest,lol....

Honored Contributor

If I paid 250 for a bracelet it would have to be in pristine condition when I received it. I would love to have that bracelet and I would pay 250, but only because it's made in the US. Don't forget the price tag is higher because it's a designer piece.

Super Contributor

On 2/17/2015 TX-starlight said:

I had not even looked at anything from CP in a very long time due to her price increases. I am now retired, & don't wear much jewelry at all. I have tried to sell several of my CP items, with no luck. I have them cheap compared to what I paid & the current prices. I took a look last night at some of her new pieces. I don't care for them at all, not even looking like "southwest" anymore. Too many gemstones & not the natural stones. I have lost interest,lol....

Hi TX, the reason her pieces didn't look southwestern during her last show is simple, it wasn't an American West show. The southwestern style is my preferred style as well, however I loved that coral cuff which sold out quickly.
Contributor

In my opinion, paying 'extra' for made in America is worth it. Too many places use slave labor or pay way too little for wages. If CPJ ever went out of the USA for production I would quit buying it even though I love it. .

Honored Contributor

I thought this was new yesterday? I'm waiting for a $200 price point, maybe an OTO, since I bought another item.

Valued Contributor

I don't like it so maybe I'm a bit biased but I wouldn't pay that for it either. It's a little bit too much.

It's the kind of CP style that will go on clearance sooner or later too. If you love that style, I'd risk returning it and waiting for it to get marked down.

Valued Contributor

I have many pieces of Carolyn Pollack's jewelry and it is all of very excellent quality.

If you like the bracelet keep it. Her items are always good.

Super Contributor

This is a different price point for Carolyn's pieces than we're used to, so that is part of what you may be feeling. It is more like what some of the Ripka pieces cost. The Q image is not that great, but I saw the video and the bracelet is really lovely. The specialty cut of the large onyx stone is great, as is the combination of the smooth high polished silver with the oxidized rope detailing and the unique design feature. Besides the additional cost of manufacturing in the US, I think the price reflects some of the higher end features in this bracelet compared to Carolyn's previous work. For example, the bracelet has an under gallery and a hinge. If you think you will wear this bracelet a lot, then it is probably worth keeping.

However, given that it sounds like you received a piece that was a return - and the scratches would bother me too at that price point, I think you could call the Q and talk to them about it. This should have been sold as an "as is" item rather than a new item. They also have more of this bracelet in stock, so you might consider an exchange.