Honored Contributor

Is there any special significance to feathers on a native American piece?

A piece of American West showed up on the bottom of one of my pages, a turquoise cabochon with feathers dangling from the bottom.  Since I have another older piece designed like this, I'm wondering if ayone knows if the feathers mean anything special or this is just a common design element.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is there any special significance to feathers on a native American piece?

There are probably various reasons (depending on who you ask) but I did google it and found this:

Many Native American tribes consider the presentation of an eagle feather to be one of the highest marks of respect. An honored person must have earned their feather through selfless acts of courage and honour, or been gifted them in gratitude for their work or service to their community or Nation.

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+are+featheres+often+found+on+American+Indian+items&oq=why+are+fe...

Honored Contributor

Thank you Annabelle.  You surely don't remember this, but you answered the very first question I ever asked on this board and that had to be over 14 years ago.  It was about a J.J. Peng stained glass lamp.  I still have it in our bedroom. 

Honored Contributor

Native American tribes often live close close to nature and revere animals of all types from the largest bear to the smallest lizard as symbols on their jewelry.  Birds, including eagles and hummingbirds, are popular.  There are Native silversmiths who do nothing but feather jewelry.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@depglass   My son and granddaughter have gone to a camp for several weeks yearly. It has an Indian name. 
 At the final ceremony they are awarded a feather, each feather is named ie "order of the eagle", etc. 

After four years or more they get the highest order. This year the camp didn't open for the first time in over 40 years due to the pandemic.
  My granddaughter said she was glad she received the highest honored feather last year. She has them all in a special box, along with feather jewelry!

Esteemed Contributor

I wish there was a Native American person or someone more educated on this than me to answer this question, but not being sure whether someone like that will post here, I wanted to share that I think you may be speaking about something known as a dreamcatcher.  Google that word to see if the results looks like what you have.  There is a wikipedia entry too.  I am just not sure it is accurate.

Honored Contributor

Feathers are like angel wings...they both connect us to a power greater than ourselves. 

Honored Contributor

No, my piece is not a dream catcher, I know what those are.  Mine is a set of crossed arrows with the feathers dangling.  Since I got this at an auction I have no idea whether this is an authentic piece or an item made for the tourist business by a non-native company.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i have a feather pendant from an artist who does silver and turq designs for Chaco Canyon.  The Chaco Canyon Trading is in Milano NM. They do  a line for Chaco Canyon on HSN

Jennifer Juan is the HSN rep for a group of the silver artists. Her interpretation of the feather motif can be found at HSN item#   612-512  it is sold out but you can the hear the story of the eagle feather . The feather pendant available but the video sound quality is poor..

Chaco Canyon Oval Kingman Turquoise Etched Feather Earrings 612-512

scroll down...
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Feathers are like angel wings...they both connect us to a power greater than ourselves. 

What an interesting statement. I have picked up several feathers this past summer that I have found out walking my dog on the back of our property. I have always loved finding feathers, glad you shared that. thank you.