Valued Contributor

Re: Is there any special significance to feathers on a native American piece?

Esteemed Contributor

@tarsmom wrote:

I have native american ancestry = see this https://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2015/05/if-i-find-an-eagle-feather-can-i-keep-it.html

Thats good to know, @tarsmom.

I haven't found any Eagle feathers. But, dh and I were on a drive though a few months ago, and he saw an Eagle flying! We were in the middle of nowhere, so we were able to pull over and just watch it, it was over a field and definitely was trailing something. It was the first time I'd ever seen out and about and it was amazing, I hadn't realized how huge they are. 

My dh says he thinks its illegal where we are to keep eagle or hawk feathers. 

Honored Contributor

Federal law states it is illegal for anyone other than Native Americans to possess eagle feathers and other eagle parts.

https://www.fws.gov/midwest/eagle/eagle_feathers.html

Honored Contributor

I do not know much about SW jewelry,but 3 feathers on jewelry is for Prince of Wales jewelry. I believe Diana had a few pieces and also the woman that was married to the one that abdicated.(Duchesss of Windsor?).

Esteemed Contributor

Depends on the tribe.  Most eagle feathers today are kept in a repository/bank in CO I believe.  If an eagle feather is found, it is traditionally prayed over by the tribal holy man and the hunter/warrior has it to represent whatever that tribe subscribes to.  

My tribe revered the birds like the crows, eagles, all the kestrals, and corvids but the feathers worn may have also been acquaired from another tribe that they raided in the past.  Symbols of nature are more significant thatn diamonds and the like.  

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust