Frequent Contributor

Is it my imagination or does QVC Not have as much Diamonique as they did back in the day?

I mean I used to see 4 hours of Diamonique back in the day when Kathy Levine was around.. now they don't even do that.. and the products on the website that are listed? well there's nowhere near what they used to have..They used to have thousands of rings earrings necklaces ect... I've noticed in just the last year that there's where near the quantity they had back in the day. I figured before Christmas they'd have alot more than they did..and then now it's after and almost Valentine's day and you'd think they'd have more stuff but everything I have looked up is out of stock.... Bad business QVC....BAD business.. I first shopped with QVC when I turned 18.. it's been over 20 years.. I'm hoping someone just screwed up.. but I'm doubting that.. Am I the only one that has noticed this? 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Is it my imagination or does QVC Not have as much Diamonique as they did back in the day?

@DiamoniqueDiva98611  I don’t think there’s the same market for any kind of jewelry that there was during Kathy years, so, yes, there’s going to be less Diamonique offered.

I do have a few pieces of DMQ from those early days, but the only ones I’ve worn much in the last 10 years are my studs.

in my local area there are fewer and fewer jewelry stores every year and even the ones still open have slimmer inventory.   I’ve noticed even big department stores have cut way back.

it’s okay with me.   More jewelry is not on my wish list.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is it my imagination or does QVC Not have as much Diamonique as they did back in the day?

Two things come to mind if DMQ is not offered as much:

Jewelry will always be a popular item, but I don't think women buy as much as they used to.  Minimalism has become more popular and, in general, it seems as though priorities have changed from previous years.  It is likely this is just my perspective, but I wonder if it might be more of a consideration for others.

Second,  moissianite has become more "diamond like" and had greater exposure over  recent years.  People are even considering it for engagement rings due to the real experience of diamonds.  For me, I never found that the simple solitaire diamond equivalent ever looked like a real diamond until experiencing moissianite.  I wonder if the moissanite market has influenced people to spend more to have a better real diamond experience.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Two things come to mind if DMQ is not offered as much:

Jewelry will always be a popular item, but I don't think women buy as much as they used to.  Minimalism has become more popular and, in general, it seems as though priorities have changed from previous years.  It is likely this is just my perspective, but I wonder if it might be more of a consideration for others.

Second,  moissianite has become more "diamond like" and had greater exposure over  recent years.  People are even considering it for engagement rings due to the real experience of diamonds.  For me, I never found that the simple solitaire diamond equivalent ever looked like a real diamond until experiencing moissianite.  I wonder if the moissanite market has influenced people to spend more to have a better real diamond experience.

@phoenixbrd  Many customers, myself included, preferred the platinum clad Diamonique which now seems rare. I purchased the Meghan Markle ring in silver just for kicks and giggles, but have enjoyed the comments when I wear it. Oddly Platinum is not that more expensive than silver (check the prices of studs in both), so maybe they didn’t want to continue with the plating process since they’re concentrating on gold or rose plated. I never understand Q’s reasoning on many decisions.

Respected Contributor

Back in the day I bought a DMQ 14k tennis bracelet and two pairs of huggy type earrings, one 14 k gold, and the other white gold.  That’s it.  Nothing since.  All still bright and clear.  I don’t think people today have the funds or interest in buying a lot of jewelry as people did in the big hair 80s.   Which would be reflected in what is offered by retailers.  People that i see today, either on the boards or in person out and about all stacked up are not from recent generations, they are of a certain age, if you get my drift.  Collectors.  

Honored Contributor

Kathy Levine's time was a lifetime ago.  Shopping channels have changed several times over since those days.  The industry has changed but more importantly, shoppers have changed.  I don't think the QVC shopper today, the ones who actually purchase items, want fake diamonds and they don't need the pretend stuff because today there are so many affordable genuine gemstones available.  It's really quite astounding what we can get for reasonable prices.  I'm wearing a white zircon (it's a real gemstone) braclet that I bought from ShopLc.  It's beautiful, the stones are diamond cut so they sparkle like diamonds, it's in a heavy sterling setting that is platinum plated and it cost less than I paid for my cz bracelets back in the day.  A lot less.  Evine has an line of diamond cut white zircon too.  There's white topaz and goshenite and white sapphires; all natural stones.  The market for cz's isn't there and QVC knows that.  Also JTV's Bella Luce cz  line is more affordable, has better styles than Dmq and JTV really pushes that line. QVC still sells a lot of Dmq but they don't give it much air time now because it's as profitable as other items.  Whis is actually, good business.  Check out JTV if you are interested in cz jewelry, they are offering many more pieces in real 14k gold now.  They have over 9000 pieces of Bella Luce.  

Valued Contributor

It is my opinion that the quality of Diamonique has gone way down--I have pieces from many years ago when it was first introduced--and I have some pieces I bought recently--there is NO comparison. The newer pieces don't have the life and sparkle the older pieces have---is it that the stones are of a poor quality or whomever is cutting them isn't into the perfection they used to require? Personally, I will always love my jewelry and look forward to buying new and different pieces when I can---I have bypassed QVC for this type of item now. I also own a lot of Moissanite--those that cost a couple of thousand and those that cost much less (because of the setting)--have not come across any dull or poorly cut Moissanite---that has become my "go to" stone as my diamond look-alike. I love looking at them, I love wearing them and they make me happy!!! JTV sells Moissanite at affordable prices--bought a couple of rings from them--set in silver--and am pleased with my purchases. It's too bad thast QVC missed the boat with those of us who still love sparkly jewelry and have let their quality suffer.

Valued Contributor

I read some years back, perhaps it was ten years ago, that QVC's management decided to cut back on selling jewelry and focus on selling appliances, electronics and cosmetics because the profit margin is so much greater on those products than it is on jewelry. 

Around the same time the cost of gold soared. It had been about $250 to $300 an ounce. During the market crash of 2008 it rocketed to $1500 an ounce because it was perceived as a safe investment. Diamonique had always been marketed as being set in solid 14K gold. The skyrocketing price of gold put the kabosh on that and a lot of jewelry sales in general. 

Super Contributor

Phoesnixbrd, I hope I spelled that right. I agree with you. I think more women are buying Moissanite. To me it looks more like diamonds than any kind of CZ. Many women are also choosing gemstones for their engagement rings. I've bought one Moissanite ring and I love it. Even though it's man made it can be costly. JTV sells pieces that cost over $1000 and they're Moissanites, which are man made, and set in silver. I would never pay that much unless it was set in gold and maybe had some real gemstones.

I think QVC and HSN both are selling a lot less of every kind of jewelry. Most of the time when I check to see what's on, QVC is selling clothes and HSN is selling electronics.

Two more days until the gold show. I hope all of you gold lovers find something you really like.

Honored Contributor

I wish the Q would do more colors of Diamonique. A while back they were offering simulated Morganite in the Diamonique, but I missed out. I noticed a ring set on the dark haired rep. from Urban Decay, looked like a Morganite solitaire and a Morganite eternity band, I wish the Q would do something like that in Diamonique.