Honored Contributor

Is gold filled the next jewelry hype?

For some reason I'm seeing the term "gold filled" more frequently.  Personally I'm not falling for it.  Theoretically it uses more gold in the plating process.  As a collector of antique jewelry, I have pieces of gold filled that are worn through to the base metal.  People had a few cherished pieces  back then and would have worn these pieces daily.  Don't buy current pieces thinking you have basic intrinsic value in the gold, buy them because you like the style.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Is gold filled the next jewelry hype?

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

For some reason I'm seeing the term "gold filled" more frequently.  Personally I'm not falling for it.  Theoretically it uses more gold in the plating process.  As a collector of antique jewelry, I have pieces of gold filled that are worn through to the base metal.  People had a few cherished pieces  back then and would have worn these pieces daily.  Don't buy current pieces thinking you have basic intrinsic value in the gold, buy them because you like the style.  

People have been buying up the gold plated stuff for years now.  Gold filled actually lasts longer then the gold plate.  But it doesn't sound good. No one is rushing out to buy that, but plenty of the gold plating.  They put pretty names like "gold embraced".  You still end up with tons of silver.   I don't own any gold plated or gold filled.  I'd rather save my money for solid gold.  Gold is actually worth more then paper money anyway.  

Honored Contributor

What's the difference between clad, filled and plated.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon wrote:

What's the difference between clad, filled and plated.

Clad is the same as gold plating.  It's like gold embraced.  Just another word created to sell.

https://youtu.be/ysN3BR8LDjA

Honored Contributor

I think just saying the word-- gold-- makes the price per oz go up--and there will be less and less "cheap" jewelry that contain tiny fractions of gold out there and the expensive gold things with be crazy pricey. for me--not an issue--am not a gold girl and got rid of most of the stuff I had years ago when gold was a mere---$1200 an oz--made alot of $$ from it too. I have a few old pieces that are rose gold howevr-----I buy what like but mostly in silver------

Honored Contributor

Gold filled has been around forever and has always been the cheapest of the cheap.  Very poor quality.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Hype is a good word for the baloney being stated to sell this stuff.  I do have a couple of pieces of gold plate that I've had since my college days that were gifted to me.  They aren't in bad shape considering, but maybe they were better made 50 years ago.

In any case, I wouldn't buy the stuff being hawked now no matter what they said about it.  Just because I've never sold any of my jewelry doesn't mean I never would.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I think just saying the word-- gold-- makes the price per oz go up--and there will be less and less "cheap" jewelry that contain tiny fractions of gold out there and the expensive gold things with be crazy pricey. for me--not an issue--am not a gold girl and got rid of most of the stuff I had years ago when gold was a mere---$1200 an oz--made alot of $$ from it too. I have a few old pieces that are rose gold howevr-----I buy what like but mostly in silver------

Gold is worth more then paper money.  The only ones raking in right now are the gold buyers.  Silver is the poor stepchild.  It's worth some money, yes....but much less then gold.  Even Plantinum is selling less then gold.  

Honored Contributor

I have a few gold filled pieces that belonged to my mother.  My father gifted her a few pieces while they were dating and some of the pieces belonged to his mother.

Goodness, they are old now.  Some pieces look a bit " tarnished" and some look like new.  Gold filled has been around for ages.

I imagine some people do not want to or need to invest in gold pieces.  I don't think it is a trend or hype.

There is something for everyone.

Honored Contributor

Gold filled has been around for probably 100 years or more.  I have a couple of pieces that belonged to my grandmother.  Don't confuse it with gold plated or gold over silver. There's a lot of gold in gold filled.  It's a thick layer of gold that is attached or bonded to silver.  I believe that gold filled has more gold than vermeil.