Honored Contributor

Re: Is anyone watching Jay King?

I enjoy watch him when he is on.  I no longer buy jewery as I purchased a lot of it in my 40's and 50's. Now 60, I just do not wear much jewerly like when I was working. Still enjoy looking at it and watching the shows. Jay has some pretty items and the prices are affordable.  I have about 5 pieces of his. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden. Me too, I'm pretty well fixed for life.  I've got a JK necklace for every color I would ever wear.  Like you say, when you're retired, you don't have so many occasions to wear jewelry.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I really enjoy watching Jay King. I have a few of his pieces and really like them...bought some on HSN and some on Ebay. His stories sometime get a little long and a bit off track, but most of the hosts at HSN are patient with him. Can't imagine Jay presenting with QVC's hosts. Can you imagine, oh let's see, Rick Domeier being matched up with Jay King? YIKES!!!    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

He has beautiful pieces.  He always comes in with something I have never heard of before.  The colors of his pieces today are beautiful.  I can see why there are people who are big collectors of his pieces. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@lavendar wrote:

I usually buy one piece a year. I want that malachite necklace.

I'm not fond of organic gemstones such as the type he provides.  Opaques?  No. No.

Enjoy shopping.  Some of his pieces sell out very fast.

Organic gemstones???  I find Jay's jewelry very interesting, especially the unusual rocks.  They're something different and I always get compliments on them.  Fortunately I have an adequate supply and don't need more.  I won't buy his over-processed turquoise and I don't care for malachite or any green stone.

@Kachina624, it would be a good idea for you to familiarize yourself with the types of gems that come from the earth and how the industry describes them.

I don't like Jay's jewlery as I don't like opaques and organic gemstones.  What's wrong with that?

https://www.google.com/#q=Organic+gemstones

I prefer stones that can be cut and faceted in various ways to bring out color.  If it doesn't sparkle, I'm likely not going to be interested.

*Call Tyrone*
Highlighted
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought two of his Rose Quartz pieces yesterday.

After buying so much jewelry in the 1990s and early 2000, when gold and silver were solid, heavy, and affordable, it has ruined me regarding most of the jewelry being sold today. There are so many deceptive treatments and enhancements (GIA) to pretty much every gemstone out there, that you never know what you're buying...even from trusted sources. Plus look at the tricks with gold and silver! So now I buy pieces that interest me...as I have no interest in reselling my jewelry, so the "value" doesn't bother me.

I like listening to his sourcing stories. I know what I'm buying from him, and I feel good about my purchases. I've bought pieces from his collection going back many years and they're still beautiful and vibrant. It's rare for me to not have buyer's remorse for most purchases I make from Q now. Leathers are thinner and glued to card board in expensive purses. Even shoe leathers have gotten cheaper quality. Clothing has gotten so thin in their fabrics. And I've mentioned the issues with today's jewelry (not to mention the ridiculous prices for COSTUME JEWELRY???!!!).

In the end, we all buy what WE like, regardless of other's opinions. So...for those who don't like Jay's jewelry for whatever reason, that's absolutely fine. For those who DO like his stuff, enjoy. He's on again today and he'll be back at the end of October.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren
Esteemed Contributor

@1MrsT wrote:

I bought two of his Rose Quartz pieces yesterday.

After buying so much jewelry in the 1990s and early 2000, when gold and silver were solid, heavy, and affordable, it has ruined me regarding most of the jewelry being sold today. There are so many deceptive treatments and enhancements (GIA) to pretty much every gemstone out there, that you never know what you're buying...even from trusted sources. Plus look at the tricks with gold and silver! So now I buy pieces that interest me...as I have no interest in reselling my jewelry, so the "value" doesn't bother me.

I like listening to his sourcing stories. I know what I'm buying from him, and I feel good about my purchases. I've bought pieces from his collection going back many years and they're still beautiful and vibrant. It's rare for me to not have buyer's remorse for most purchases I make from Q now. Leathers are thinner and glued to card board in expensive purses. Even shoe leathers have gotten cheaper quality. Clothing has gotten so thin in their fabrics. And I've mentioned the issues with today's jewelry (not to mention the ridiculous prices for COSTUME JEWELRY???!!!).

In the end, we all buy what WE like, regardless of other's opinions. So...for those who don't like Jay's jewelry for whatever reason, that's absolutely fine. For those who DO like his stuff, enjoy. He's on again today and he'll be back at the end of October.

@1MrsTYep!  I don't buy costume jewelry.  Lot's of people like it, like Heidi Daus.  Precious metals for me!  Sparkle,Sparkle......love it.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Stray wrote:

His quality is terrible, settings cheap and uninspired.  I love chunky stone jewelry and tried his pieces.  Either I sent them back due to oxidation around the stones/settings or poor quality or I keep them and they later fell apart or deteriorated.  I get beautiful pieces at open markets in Europe, artisan, inexpensive and good quality and custom made. 

Good idea especially if you travel enough!

*Call Tyrone*