Respected Contributor

Is anyone watching Jay King?

I usually buy one piece a year. I want that malachite necklace.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is anyone watching Jay King?

@lavendar wrote:

I'm not fond of organic gemstones such as the type he provides.  Opaques?  No. No.

Enjoy shopping.  Some of his pieces sell out very fast.

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

I have several of his malachite necklaces, earrings and a bracelet purchased the last few years.  I love and wear them often.  I do get compliments and asked where I got them.  I enjoy the simpler natural appearance of his gemstones, especially now I am retired.  I have enough of the gold, sterling and more sophisticated jewelry and seldom get dressed to wear them any more.  I will be watching the next few days to see what I can add to my collection of Mine Finds.

Honored Contributor

He had some nice pieces this morning. I had to leave the house . I do have a natural apatite faceted bead necklace I bought a couple years ago and it is very nice.
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@lavendar wrote:

I'm not fond of organic gemstones such as the type he provides.  Opaques?  No. No.

Enjoy shopping.  Some of his pieces sell out very fast.

Organic gemstones???  I find Jay's jewelry very interesting, especially the unusual rocks.  They're something different and I always get compliments on them.  Fortunately I have an adequate supply and don't need more.  I won't buy his over-processed turquoise and I don't care for malachite or any green stone.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I'm thinking about a couple of the mico opal inlay pieces. I have some of his turquoise pieces, but I don't think I have any of the opal.

Respected Contributor

I always preferred opaque stones and wish I'd bought more before the prices went through the roof. I did check my malachite collection and actually have two necklance and two pair of earrings.

I have a ring that I'm not crazy about.

Last year I bought a long strand of rose quartz beads on sale. Not the best quality but it was marked down to forty dollars. I wear it a lot in the summer.

Esteemed Contributor

His quality is terrible, settings cheap and uninspired.  I love chunky stone jewelry and tried his pieces.  Either I sent them back due to oxidation around the stones/settings or poor quality or I keep them and they later fell apart or deteriorated.  I get beautiful pieces at open markets in Europe, artisan, inexpensive and good quality and custom made. 

Respected Contributor

I have been watching.  I like the morganite bead necklace and earrings.  I have the one in pink sapphire and love it.  I did pick up the matching pink sapphire stretch bracelet and the ring (it went on sale for $59)

I recently started liking his items. They are different and on the cool side.

Deb

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

His quality is terrible, settings cheap and uninspired.  I love chunky stone jewelry and tried his pieces.  Either I sent them back due to oxidation around the stones/settings or poor quality or I keep them and they later fell apart or deteriorated.  I get beautiful pieces at open markets in Europe, artisan, inexpensive and good quality and custom made. 

@Stray  You obviously "don't get" Jay's jewelry.  It's all about the stones, not monuments to silversmithing.  His designs are simple to show off the stones.  He's got stones you'll never see in the open markets of Europe...or anywhere else.

I've got at least 20 of his large bead necklaces with matching pendants.  I carefully store them in Prestige necklaces boxes so they don't get twisted or scratched and don't "fall apart".

Heaven forbid sterling should show oxidation. If properly stored, it won't.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment