Honored Contributor

Is a two tiered brilliant cut the same as Asscher cut?

I was wandering through LC's CZ offerings and started looking for Asscher cut.  All I could find was two tiered brilliant cut, but it sure looks like Asscher.  Is there some trademark rights to that name that they are trying to skirt?  

Honored Contributor

Re: Is a two tiered brilliant cut the same as Asscher cut?

[ Edited ]

I'm seeing several Asscher-cut items on SLC. Which one is the "two tiered"? @depglass 

The only one which I question is their 'Asscher Cut' Moissanite studs. To me they do not look like Asscher cut stones. They look like radiant cut square...big difference.

There's no such stone with both radiant (brilliant/radiant) and Asscher (step/emerald) cuts in a single stone. You either have a step or a brilliant, not both.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not an expert on this but I do know brilliant cuts and asscher cuts are entirely different.  I'm pretty sure doubling one isn't going to give you the other.

Perhaps whatever you were looking at was mislabeled?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think I found a ring described as "Two Tiered Brilliant Cut" on the LC and it does indeed look like an Asscher cut stone to me. That's a first for me. I've never heard an Asscher cut stone called that before.

download.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Search 3684540.  In the detailed specs down below it says two tiered brilliant cut.  It sure looks like Asscher to me.  Please straighten me out here. Edit:  I always thought a brilliant cut was round.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Search 3684540.  In the detailed specs down below it says two tiered brilliant cut.  It sure looks like Asscher to me.  Please straighten me out here. Edit:  I always thought a brilliant cut was round.

@depglass 

The only thing I can think of is that their description might be something Swarovski uses to describe their 'Asscher' cut stones. In other words, maybe no one else calls it that except Swarovski.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Brilliant cuts are commonly round stones. But brilliant cut stones can be square also and those are called modified square brilliant or princess cut stones. @depglass 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass 

LC hosts are calling them Asscher cut. So yes is the answer to your question.

Honored Contributor

One of my favorite ings from QVC is a Diamonique Asscher cut.  Since I have most every ring ever invented, I think I will wait for a true gemstone in Asscher cut.  Its all about the hunt, I can spend weeks on this.  

Honored Contributor

I bought a pair of Cambodian blue zircon studs. They are Asscher cut set in gold and they are beautiful!. Asscher cut is my favorite cut, too. @depglass 

3656634.jpg