Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is Statement Jewelry Aging?

I'm not attempting to look younger, so it doesn't matter to me.  Though I have really never been into "statement" necklaces.

I do wear on occasion a Carolyn Pollack longhorn choker.  That to me is statement.

I also have a gorgeous long strand (36") of American West white agate beads with silver stations and I have to be careful about what I wear it with.  It does seem of an earlier time, shall we say.  It's a great play on an updated strand of pearls and I adore white agate.

Maybe I'll wear it today!

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

I am too old to follow rules set by someone who is a stranger to me.

I am also too busty to wear delicate little necklaces, although I wear my diamond solitaire pendant 24/7.

My choices in fashion are bold, and so are my necklaces. I would be a shame not to rock those wearable art pieces and try to look like someone who I am not and to try to look "safe" for fashion.

I have style. I wear whatever suits my style.

Valued Contributor

To me it is just such a ridiculous statement, it made me laugh. I wore statement and delicate pieces when I was young and I do the same now.  And guess what...they looked great then and they look great now.  I wear what I love and looks good with my outfit.  Jewelry aging me?  Never, ever crossed my mind.

Honored Contributor

I wear what makes me feel good.  Some days I wear a pair of earring studs, watch, and always my wedding ring.

Trusted Contributor

Face it girls, I'm older and can afford statement jewerly. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I think the whole "aging"  and "anti-aging" thing is nonsense.   It's simply playing into insecurities that some suffer from.

No doubt - you'll find another YouTube video that will tell you that wearing statement jewelry is youthful!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Gorgf   Fashion Police don't affect me.  I wear what seems appropriate for the occasion, my body type, budget, and personal preferences.  

My style is my own and I am confident in my choices.  Fashion trends cycle in and out.  It is fun to observe and try a few new items to freshen a look but not follow trends slavishly.

Why should I aspire to be young?  I've earned the right to enjoy being myself in my fashion choices, as in other areas, such as food.  

When I was much younger there was a foolish saying that made the rounds about not trusting anyone over thirty.  I knew it was malarkey then and I know it still is.

So wear your Linea, Daus, etc.  Have fun and relax--your statement is you are who you are and are enjoying your life. 

Honored Contributor

I've heard statement Jewelry being referred to as "old ladyish", "frumpy" and "grandma-ish"....not words used as a compliment especially to women who don't wish to look older (even if they are).

I compare it to the "look" of avocado colored stoves and toilets and tubs from the 70's...it stands out as old and stale instead of fresh and new. It's an image we instantly place as being out of date so....it's not considered a good thing.

IMHO, wear what you want. There are those that think a double strand of black pearls is "old fashioned". There are those that think Heidi Daus makes tacky/junky items. There are those that think ANYTHING other than a simple silver chain is "basic" (an insult) or "showing off".

Geez Louise. Enough. Life is too short to worry about the fashion police. : )

Trusted Contributor

I wear my statement jewelry.  I do have some more delicate jewelry also but with chains that are a little longer like 24"!

As far as the delicate little short chains that are considered more youthful, they do look so beautiful on the young women who have smooth beautiful skin with no wrinkles!   On me they just draw attention to the wrinkles I now have in my mid 70's!   So, I have added little extenders to some of those. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Oh, so, just because smaller jewelry is a trend now for younger people, larger statement jewelry makes everyone look old?

Really, why do I see larger jewelry being sold everywhere?  

Funny thing, I bet the fashion police don't think statement jewelry makes everyone look old whenever it is a trend...that style will return again and again.  New trends are tactics to get us to buy, buy, buy.  

I've worn statement jewelry since my 20's and not going to change now to please anyone.