Valued Contributor

Re: Is Diamonique quality going downhill??

What really is a Diamonique stone? Is it a certain type of CZ manufactured specially for QVC? If it was the hosts would say that it is. In all my years of watching QVC I have never heard them say what exactly a Diamonique stone is except that "our buyers select high-quality stones."

There are different grades of CZ. And many different manufacturers. Is Diamonique then a particular grade? Or a particular quality of CZ that is selected by buyers? And if so what are the criterion? No one ever says anything to hint of what makes it special beyond the trademarked name.

In years past it was the settings which made it special. Solid 14K settings which made the CZ look more diamond-like. But it's too cost prohibitive to offer such settings today.

Honored Contributor

I believe QVC attempts to make their diamonique in affordable price points for some buyers and in more expensive for others who don't mind paying for better quality. If you buy dmq in the lower price ranges you will see lesser quality settings but you will pay less.

My first dmq was a pair of 1carat each ear lever back earrings back when leverbacks first came in style.(90's). They are set in 14k and still look like new despite that I wore them to work almost every day for many years. 

IMO dmq is definitely a "you get what you pay for" situation.

Honored Contributor

In general the quality of the shopping channel jewelry I bought when I started watching (15 yrs?) is superior to that available now.    

I think CZ's are pretty  much the same but as others just said the settings are where the cost is, and they cheapen it to sell at $x 

I have bought earrings b/c I don't care if I loose one but that's about it now. 

Super Contributor

I have a beautiful diamonquie studs from Tacori .. Great quality back then..

Trusted Contributor

If I purchase Diamonique, I purchase the 100 facet only (usually in either white gold or from the Epiphany line). 

Personally, I think the 100 facet has much more fire and sparkle than the standard cut. 

I have pieces from 1990 when I first started purchasing Diamonique and they look great.

Trusted Contributor

Now that HSN and QVC will be under the same Liberty umbrella what are your thoughts about Diamonique vs Absolute.?

I have had Absolute turn cloudy on me after a year.  What are your experiences with either?

Frequent Contributor

In my opinion YES, YES, YES.......... I just posted about the lack of designer pieces like Verraigo and Tacori. It's not the "stone" its the paper thin settings and inferior workmanship causing alot of returns. My older pieces have much heavier substantial weight and feel to them. And unique designs. I am sick to death of Ripka give us some variety. I get that it is a "PRICE"  thing trying to keep them "under a hundre" and that's great but I for one am willing to pay more for a nice substantial piece of jew

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't think the quality of the Diamonique stones themselves have changed but the settings into which they're placed are not as nice as they used to be.  Skimping on silver. 

.....Again it's all about making money & those metals are more expensive than years ago.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Blackhole....yes to Tacori!  

I would guess Tacori left because Q wanted too much say in the design and pricing. They had a reputation and tradition to uphold. Good for them if that's why they left.

Trusted Contributor

I found this review for a Diamonique ring which is interesting:

I've been shopping with QVC for over 20 years and have a few items from the Diamonique line. They have always been believable and have weight to them. I just received this ring last night and it's not what I expected. It looks like cut glass! It has no weight to it and when I put it next to my other Diamonique pieces, it looks horrible. I wanted this ring to wear as an anniversary band at times instead of my real diamond one. The other thing about this order is when I received the email from UPS that something was out for delivery, it did not state QVC anywhere, something that all my orders state from QVC. I had to look up the company that was showing from NY, called them and asked who are they. She stated did you order from QVC? So I guess this is coming from a new company and not the usual from the past years. Which explains why the quality is horrible on this piece. I shop with QVC for many many items, but if this is the direction that they are taking with Diamonique, it's very disappointing. Not worth the money for this. "