Super Contributor

Is Bronzo Italia Overpriced?

I tried to determine the cost per gram of the bronze alloy used in BI items. I was unable to do without because I did not know the metal mix but it was much closer to the price of stainless steal than sterling. Yet in a recent VS show there were pieces in sterling that looked similar to BI pieces for the same ammount. Why are we being charged a price much closer to a precious medal when the metals involved are very inexpensive like Steel By Design?

One might argue that we are paying for the gift of the Italian Designers skills but Lisa has come out and stated these are based on old designs used for gold and silver so there is minimal effort for the designers, just reworking existing molds etc.

Finally there is the cost of labor. They are charging $75 dollars for a bold saddle ring that involved a molding, removing the ring mold and polishing and packaging the item. Yet a Byzantine weave bracelet, done by hand, costs about $25 more and the bracelet took much more labor and skill.

Additionally I have seen other pieces that also required much more labor, for example the calla lily Steel by Design bangle, multiple cast pieces to be connected, different finishing like satin and bright polished metal etc, yet it is priced under the BI ring.

I kept the saddle ring because it is something I have wanted for years, but every time I get ready to buy those BI earrings I like so much something stops me, the phrase about separating a fool from their money....