Respected Contributor

Re: Interesting how we change as we grow older...

Hasn't affected me yet.  I wore three Tahitian necklaces to lunch today. Pile them on...

Respected Contributor

Being retired, I don't wear jewelry as much as before because I don't dress up as often and I participate in different activities.  Over the years I switched from buying lots of small stuff to saving my money for 1 nice piece now and then which I purchased from the local goldsmith.  Some pieces I saved quite a while for. 

I go to the gym now instead of working with weights at home. I am more regular with my exercising because I'm not exhausted from working all day. I have the time to go when it's not busy so I actually enjoy it. And I have more time to go to the boarding barn and spend time with my horse, too.

None of these activities are conducive to wearing nice pieces of jewelry.  So I wear my jewelry less often. Still love the stuff I have, though.  And will hand it down to my nieces and godchild someday. 

Trusted Contributor

Nuttin’ better than denim and DIAMONDS!

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I mostly wear earrings these days. I once loved to wear necklaces but since I had neck surgery they bother me terribly.  Bracelets...I used to wear lots of them, stacked even. But now with my hands being so severely disabled, I can no longer put them on by my self and I live alone. It's so nice getting old.Woman Tongue

Growing older is what  we make of it.  Personally, I am so happy for the wisdom I have gained through the years; it's just a shame that I didn't have more of it when I was younger and so badly needed it.  One thing I've learned through the years that "things" are not what makes me happy, but people.  Save a lot of money too. lol!

A joyous Christmas season to all the special ladies here!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

Being retired, I don't wear jewelry as much as before because I don't dress up as often and I participate in different activities.  Over the years I switched from buying lots of small stuff to saving my money for 1 nice piece now and then which I purchased from the local goldsmith.  Some pieces I saved quite a while for. 

I go to the gym now instead of working with weights at home. I am more regular with my exercising because I'm not exhausted from working all day. I have the time to go when it's not busy so I actually enjoy it. And I have more time to go to the boarding barn and spend time with my horse, too.

None of these activities are conducive to wearing nice pieces of jewelry.  So I wear my jewelry less often. Still love the stuff I have, though.  And will hand it down to my nieces and godchild someday. 

Congratulations on your exercise routine, Kalli...best gift you can give to yourself as long as you are able.

Honored Contributor

I enjoy wearing the jewelry I've got but have no interest in acquiring more.  There are no "holes" in my collection.  I no longer even watch jewelry shows.  I've got pieces I've never worn.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Mid 60's here. Since I retired, I never wear jewelry, unless I'm going somewhere. I do wear earrings & my watch when I am running errands & such, but nothing else. When I was married I never took my wedding ring off, now I can hardly stand to wear a ring for more than a few hrs. 

Same with clothing. When running errands or just at home, I'm in jeans & t-shirt-no make up. I LOVE retirement,lol.. 

Honored Contributor

I get into jewelry "moods" that last several months.  I'll go with a style of jewelry, then decide that I really should sell a bunch of things that I don't really want anymore, then lo and behold, I'll get in the mood to wear those things again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't hit 60 yet but my body has changed , and I can't wear what I used to.   In a word ...  arthritis.

No more necklaces, even fine chains, because of compressed discs in my neck ... can't do it.

I have RA and can't wear as many rings as I used to.  My left hand ring finger is still a 7, but my right ring finger is probably close to an 8 now and all the right hand rings no longer fit.   Not sure what I want to do about that .... not all of them can be re-sized, and even if I had them stretched to a size 8, there's no guarantee they'll always fit in the future!

So ...........   I wear bold, but not over-sized, earrings and bracelets .... and have some new watches purchased over the last few years.   (You can always wear earrings & bracelets).  Just can't get rid of the rings, many of them sterling.

I'm curious ........     Is anyone donating their old "costume" jewelry .... or just letting it sit in jewelry boxes?

Esteemed Contributor

It is not that I do not like jewelry, I have just never worn a lot.  I have very sensitive ears, so any earring even a stud bothers me and they usually become infected, so I no longer wear earrings, I cannot wear a necklace I have that tag on clothing itchy, scratchy thing going on, and this is what happens when I try to wear a necklace also.  I do wear a wedding band on occasion, but no longer every day, my fingers swell so much that I had to buy a larger size, but the days they do not swell my rings actually fall off, so I am not going to risk losing it.