Trusted Contributor

Re: In Regard to Lapis Lazuli

@Kachina624 wrote:

I wonder if the price of lapid will skyrocket?  At the very least, I bet what we see will be a much less quality now that the mine is, in essence, closed. 

Worldwide, lapis is mined in several areas. The traditional source of the finest lapis lazuli is the same today as it was thousands of years ago—the mountains of Afghanistan. Other major sources are Chile and Lake Baikal in Siberia, Russia. Minor sources are Angola, Canada, Colorado (US), and Pakistan

Mine Finds by Jay King on HSN is probably your best bet for price and quality. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I am sick and tired of hearing about THE CLOSED Sleeping Beauty, Argyle, and Tanzanite One mines........

Now another "Don't Miss Out" ..... "Your Last Chance"

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Last time I saw Jay King on HSN he said he is using the rest of his stash of Lapis now.  He doesn't know if and when he will be able to get anymore.  I have a feeling he will be retiring soon.  I bet his wife doesn't want him to travel to these dangerous locations any longer, just a hunch but I am happy that I have collected gems over the years when times were good and prices more reasonable.

Honored Contributor

DSCN1368.jpeg

DSCN1369.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@sunshine 919    As @SilleeMee  said, the international gem trade is a dark, shady business. 

Very scary when you think about it.  

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 @I've wondered about this too.

Respected Contributor

@nova wrote:

@Kachina624   Yes I'm sure prices will go up even if gem dealers have a certain amount squirrled away.  Same with kunzite - it's already expensive & now I'm sure it will be astronomical.

here in the usa, it's called PRICE GOUGING. Probably illegal but prople do it anyway.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Speaking of shady business, once I was watching JTV and Wendy Williams was presenting tanzanite, I think.  They were taking callers and a lady called in and asked a question about the stone and then said "and what about the children?" which I assume was in reference to children being used for mining.  A blank look came over her face and that caller was G-O-N-E....

I agree that the entire industry is shady you have to just enjoy the stones' beauty without looking too deeply into it because if you refuse to buy "conflict" stones you'll never buy another naturally mined stone again.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@michmi wrote:

Speaking of shady business, once I was watching JTV and Wendy Williams was presenting tanzanite, I think.  They were taking callers and a lady called in and asked a question about the stone and then said "and what about the children?" which I assume was in reference to children being used for mining.  A blank look came over her face and that caller was G-O-N-E....

I agree that the entire industry is shady you have to just enjoy the stones' beauty without looking too deeply into it because if you refuse to buy "conflict" stones you'll never buy another naturally mined stone again.

It would not bother me not to buy a naturally mined stone.  I like the beauty of the stone if a lab grown looks just as nice I would get the lab grown.  Smiley Happy plus same beauty in some cases lab grown might look nicer,  less cost.  Win win for me.  I am just saying for me its fine.  I am not trying to tell others what to do.

Regular Contributor

@sunshine 919  I also learned long ago that I cannot be the world's policeman and gemstones go through many, many hands before they are set into a piece of jewelry.  If lab-grown is lovely and affordable, I buy that.  If the mined stone is beautiful and fits into my budget, that works for me too.  

I've always loved turquoise and lapis.