Honored Contributor

I wonder if the price of lapid will skyrocket?  At the very least, I bet what we see will be a much less quality now that the mine is, in essence, closed. 

Worldwide, lapis is mined in several areas. The traditional source of the finest lapis lazuli is the same today as it was thousands of years ago—the mountains of Afghanistan. Other major sources are Chile and Lake Baikal in Siberia, Russia. Minor sources are Angola, Canada, Colorado (US), and Pakistan

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Re: In Regard to Lapis Lazuli

@Kachina624   Yes I'm sure prices will go up even if gem dealers have a certain amount squirrled away.  Same with kunzite - it's already expensive & now I'm sure it will be astronomical.

Honored Contributor

There has been speculation that the mining of Afgan lapis was profiting the bad guys over there. I consider it a conflict mineral and choose not to buy it.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   I imagine it also provided a livihood for many desperately poor families who will now suffer. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

It's sort of the same kind of situation in Myanmar and their (Burmese) rubies. Smuggling to Thailand is common from what I understand. Smuggling of Afgan lapis might happen, too, which might fly under the radar over there...who really knows. I've always looked at global gem trade as shady business deals. Lapis is no exception.

Honored Contributor

If it becomes available over or under the radar, I bet Jay King will be there to scoop some up. 

Honored Contributor

WOW! hope it's true I've got a giant 3 stone bracelet of it set in silver.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I wonder if the price of lapid will skyrocket?  At the very least, I bet what we see will be a much less quality now that the mine is, in essence, closed. 

Worldwide, lapis is mined in several areas. The traditional source of the finest lapis lazuli is the same today as it was thousands of years ago—the mountains of Afghanistan. Other major sources are Chile and Lake Baikal in Siberia, Russia. Minor sources are Angola, Canada, Colorado (US), and Pakistan

Weird you mention this.  I saw a little of JTV this morning and it was all lapis.  They were saying where it was from but I was not payting attention.  I was doing other stuff however the pieces I saw were lovely.  Lapis is a beautiful blue.  I have a ring I purchased a few years ago from jtv set in gold over with tiny citrines aroun the stone.  It is really pretty and the gold over has not tarnished.  I don't know what it is with my chemistry some pieces the gold comes right off.  This ring is still lovely. I took a chance on it because blue and gold are two of my favorite color combinations.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

There has been speculation that the mining of Afgan lapis was profiting the bad guys over there. I consider it a conflict mineral and choose not to buy it.

Same can be said for diamonds.  So glad they have diamonds and others to choose from that are grown in a lad.  

Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919    As @SilleeMee  said, the international gem trade is a dark, shady business.