Respected Contributor

Re: In Memoriam - James Avery

I think everyone who moves to Texas must have that same Who is James Avery and why is he everywhere? experience, @beach-mom! I remember when I moved here and began to see people wearing beautiful silver pieces. Every time I asked about them, I would hear the same thing - Thank you, it's James Avery.

I bought several James Avery pieces as gifts and still have none for myself. I guess I will have to remedy that. He did beautiful work and I think all of Texas will feel his loss.

Like @sidsmom says, we often live in a bubble here in Texas. This was a bubble I was happy to be a part of.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@sidsmom. When I first glanced at your photos it occured to that the symbol looked like a Whataburger logo.  My favorite fast food hamburger joint.  We have them here too.  I know you'd never patronize such a place but I love a bacon avocado burger.

The Texas tradition is cool.

Like Blue Bell, King Ranch, and a million other Texas iconic institutions.

🌼

Honored Contributor

@makena wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

never really liked his line. They have a store here in Amarillo at the Mall.

I'm really getting into Brighton. So easy to wear and maintain.

It's nice that you've found a line to connect with.  But you can't really compare SS and gold to zinc and bronze dipped in silver.

Hey @Kachina624 do I have any silver ?   LOL  Think I could probably out silver a few folks in here. LOL

Honored Contributor

This JA piece is on my Pinterest board, and it seems like it's the one that gets repinned most often.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@makena wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

never really liked his line. They have a store here in Amarillo at the Mall.

I'm really getting into Brighton. So easy to wear and maintain.

It's nice that you've found a line to connect with.  But you can't really compare SS and gold to zinc and bronze dipped in silver.

Hey @Kachina624 do I have any silver ?   LOL  Think I could probably out silver a few folks in here. LOL

@SharkE. Yes you are a bonafide, card-carrying member of the silver society.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I am from Dallas.  Learned about JA in the 70s from a friend who was Episcopal, from Corpus.  MY first piece was a little gold ring with a cross cutout.  In those days they were almost a cottage business with a large church business.  They had one store opened in Dallas in the late 70s I think.  Tiny store.  But oh my the beautiful things.  Beautiful handmade pieces, made in the Hill Country.  I have beautiful silver, and silver/gold pieces.  I have treasured them for years.  When I get back from work I am going to post a group picture of my treasures.  Nothing, nothing sold here compares to these pieces.  RIP JA.

Respected Contributor

IMG_8052.JPG

Valued Contributor

Thank you for letting me know, @beach-mom .

James Avery jewelry was part of my teenage years. My best friend gave me my first piece back in the early 70's. She was a couple of years older than me and when she got her driver's license, we'd go up to Kerrville to the store. I have quite a few pieces of his since then. 

I haven't lived in TX in many years; we had a JA store here in a mall but that's been closed for several years now. I pick up charms for my daughter who also likes his jewelry. She also wears my old pieces, which are more substantial, not all of it was religious-based. 

I wonder, does the store in Kerrville still exist? 

Respected Contributor

James Avery.... have collected several pieces over the years myself... and, my daughter, well, all her first good pieces of jewelry were also from there.

Have not bought many pieces over the last several years, their styles have changed a lot. Smaller designs.

My favorites from there are my bangle bracelets - nicely crafted with some weight to them. Love!

They always did carry a lot of faith related pieces. Some of their cross pendants made their way into my cross collection I must admit!

I find a piece though, that I must have from there once in awhile. 

RIP Mr Avery. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@Shawnie's picture jolted me.  The striking sun burst necklace she shows I have given as a gift!

I encountered James Avery Craftsman when I lived in New Orleans-- there was an outlet there.  He did a distinctive and detailed Huguenot cross, with the little dove, in both silver and gold.

I was thrilled because my mother's family long ago were French Huguenots who fled persecution in France, and went to Ireland in the 1700's.  Ironically in Catholic Ireland these French Protestants were allowed to flourish and ply their trades of linen manufacture and violin making.  I always loved the stories, so I got my mother the little Huguenot cross in silver, which she loved.

It was a nice business, and at least when I shopped there, the pieces were substantial and well-crafted...