Honored Contributor

I'd never heard of James Avery before we moved to Texas for a few years. All of my new friends had his pieces but I wasn't interested - I'd always been more of a natural stone type of girl, and I was thrilled to be in a land of turquoise jewelry! Then DD received a gift of a charm from a classmate during her birthday party. Other friends gave her some pieces, so we started a charm bracelet for her. After a heartbreaking loss in our lives, DH gave me the Four Seasons ring. I wore it every day for years, and I still wear it sometimes. Later on he also gave me the pendant and earrings to match. I started ordering gifts for friends and family, and after we moved, I kept it up. I just ordered a new leather necklace less than a month ago.

Of course I never met Mr. Avery, but I learned his story. That made his jewelry even more special. The SA's at the store we always wonderful and very helpful. They went out of their way for special requests, I have good memories of going there.

I just got an e-mail. He died today at the age of 96. 

Respected Contributor

Re: In Memoriam - James Avery

I saw that too.  Very sad.  I own several of his pieces.  Went to the site today and saw that he passed. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks for sharing this.

His design vision will live on forever!

I discovered James Avery jewelry when I moved to Dallas back in the 80’s.  At that time, sorority girls seemed to be the only ones wearing. Then, overnight, everyone was wearing charm bracelets!

We Texans live in such a bubble, I always wondered if anyone outside the State knows what James Avery jewelry is...🤔🤔🤔

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

We Texans live in such a bubble, I always wondered if anyone outside the State knows what James Avery jewelry is...🤔🤔🤔

Once a person takes up residence in Texas, he learns all about James Avery very fast.  Back in the 80's and early 90's I got some wonderful large chunky rings and earring.  I still pick up an occasional piece from that era on eBay.

Something happened and suddenly his designs got smaller, very sentimental and religious.  I'm not into that sort of thing so I quit shopping there.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’m pretty sure James Avery jewelry has always been religious.

I mean...it’s Texas...right in the middle of the Bible Belt.

Of course, not everything was religious..I got Texas shaped charms,

but the store definitely had a spiritual bent. 

Did you see where they have a Whataburger charm?

So Texas...

936E1E9F-D322-4A72-A4D3-3512F2BFB9CA.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

RIP, James Avery.  I have many pieces of his jewelry and love them all.  It's one of my husband's favorite spots to buy me something.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My best friend gave me a James Avery cross for Christmas one year.

0E6B9E27-093A-4B45-868A-7CDA57A01DFB.jpeg

Honored Contributor

never really liked his line. They have a store here in Amarillo at the Mall.

I'm really getting into Brighton. So easy to wear and maintain.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom. When I first glanced at your photos it occured to that the symbol looked like a Whataburger logo.  My favorite fast food hamburger joint.  We have them here too.  I know you'd never patronize such a place but I love a bacon avocado burger.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

never really liked his line. They have a store here in Amarillo at the Mall.

I'm really getting into Brighton. So easy to wear and maintain.

It's nice that you've found a line to connect with.  But you can't really compare SS and gold to zinc and bronze dipped in silver.