Super Contributor

Imported from where?

[ Edited ]

I sure wish that QVC would tell us the origin of their jewelry pieces.  I would like to buy pieces I like  that are from places that my money would help, but all I ever see is :  Imported.  That doesn't tell me anything and I would rather not buy from certain places.  Calling something Artisan crafted doesn't tell me much.  Sure would be nice QVC!!!

Honored Contributor

"I would like to buy pieces I like  that are from places that my money would help,"

If you mean improvished countries/peoples, I believe you would do better by shopping around your local jewelry stores and/or stores that specialize in jewelry from improvished countries/peoples.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I don't remember where I heard or read this, but it was recent.  It said that many "Italian made" leather items are made in Italy, but just over the border,  by Chinese workers who are underpaid.  I don't know if that makes a difference to anyone.  But "Italian Made" does not necessarily mean it was made by Italians.  Again, if you love the product, it should not matter.  BUT, if it was made by underpaid workers and the company is making a bigger profit because of it, well that may matter to some people.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

We have a store in our town that sells items made by women in Africa.  It is run by volunteers, so it is not always open.  I have purchased Christmas ornaments there.  I will have to look again when I am downtown.  We just got back from a fantastic vacation to South Africa.  I bought a lot of souvenirs made by the locals.  They really do some beautiful artwork.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I agree that I'd like to see the country from which an item is imported.  This used to be specified (a long time ago), but I think with the majority of things made in China now, they just dropped that information.  If it says "imported" and doesn't list the country, I simply assume it means China and that's usually borne out when the box arrives.

Honored Contributor

Are you more interested in helping impoverished countries or individuals?

Africa Imports, Ten Thousand Villages, and Novica online sell jewelry made in other countries; however, you will need to decide if they are impoverished.  For example, India is one country.  Some people are impoverished, some not.  There's Ecuador, Peru, and others.  Are they impoverished?  Some countries are impoverished because their governments are corrupt.  

However, how much are the artisans making when you consider the middlemen and retailers?  Probably, peanuts.  

If individuals, you could start by buying jewelry made by Americans who need the money, too.  How about handmade Native American jewelry?  Sometimes what they sell helps their own tribes.  Some are very poor.  

There are Americans who make their own jewelry on Etsy.  They may not be impoverished, but some may be struggling.  

Some independent sellers make their livelihood on ebay.  Others sell their own jewelry because they need the money.  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Africa Imports, Ten Thousand Villages, and Novica online sell jewelry made in other countries; however, you will need to decide if they are impoverished.  For example, India is one country.  Some people are impoverished, some not.  There's Ecuador, Peru, and others.  Are they impoverished?  Some countries are impoverished because their governments are corrupt.  

However, how much are the artisans making when you consider the middlemen and retailers?  Probably, peanuts.  

If individuals, you could start by buying jewelry made by Americans who need the money, too.  How about handmade Native American jewelry?  Sometimes what they sell helps their own tribes.  Some are very poor.  

There are Americans who make their own jewelry on Etsy.  They may not be impoverished, but some may be struggling.  

Some independent sellers make their livelihood on ebay.  Others sell their own jewelry because they need the money.  

@Foxxee   Indeed, I know several ladies in our community who really need the money because they are single mothers without a lot of skills who sell jewelry on Etsy.  I am not going to give their names because I think that would be a violation of my trust, but some of them have come from abused situations.  Yes, I am a firm believer that charity begins at home.  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@Foxxee   Amen. Speaking for independent jewelers, beautiful pieces can be purchased at craft shows or craft fairs. If visiting another city, check out their art museums. The gift shops usually carry nice pieces by local artists. Art galleries sometimes have jewelry, too. The starving artist is no joke. It's really tough to sell jewelry now with competition from overseas. I'm all for helping other countries, but sometimes charity begins at home. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Imported from where?

[ Edited ]

Made in Italy can mean anything.  I was made in Italy! (and not by a Mexican worker either)

Honored Contributor

I agree.  I think it would be nice if they would say where everything is made, personally.  Also, I like knowing the fabric of all clothing, and they should also make sure that when they present makeup and skin care,they state whether it is fragrance free --- and make sure a complete list of ingredients is listed on their web page. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin