Honored Contributor

Re: IT IS NOT “JEW LE RY”

@GingerPeach  When Amy was hosting LOGO, she asked Lori several times whether mauve is pronounced "mauve" (rhymes with "stove") or "mahve."  I don't know why she had to keep asking repeatedly.

Honored Contributor

Some of it may be geographic pronounciation. How do you say bagel? How do you say roof? Have you ever red up the house or just asked for a schocz(I may be spelling it wrong).

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@Margui wrote:

That's right! Jewelry and jewellery are correct. Just the word tomato being pronounced differently. About the German brand Adidas, it's Adi- das, not Adeeras, like the Americans say it.

@Margui- I have never heard anyone ever pronounce Adidas like "Adeeras".  Not sure why you are saying Americans add an R to the word?

Honored Contributor

How many ways can you pronounce STUPID?  Inquiring minds want to know. Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

I hope all the speech police are done now.

Honored Contributor

He has a thick New York kind of accent.  I think he's so cute.  I love to hear him talk.

As a matter of fact, I like to hear all of the dialects across the country.  I think it's what makes this country great.

It doesn't bother me, but I do understand people having pet peeves.  I have too many to list here.  I'm sure all of you have so many pet peeves I do just coming here.  Ha!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Shanus, that mispronunciation makes me grit my teeth, but it's still not as bad as the way I have heard it pronouced more than once!  What would you think if you heard someone call it "jew-er-ly"?  Eeeeek!  I'm beginning to wonder if, besides not teaching cursive, our schools are no longer teaching reading or speaking any language at all!  I know, first world problem..................

Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

Shanus, that mispronunciation makes me grit my teeth, but it's still not as bad as the way I have heard it pronouced more than once!  What would you think if you heard someone call it "jew-er-ly"?  Eeeeek!  I'm beginning to wonder if, besides not teaching cursive, our schools are no longer teaching reading or speaking any language at all!  I know, first world problem..................

@CamilleP Multiple posters explained in this thread it is not a "mispronunciation".

BOTH pronunciations are correct and accepted. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shaunac wrote:

Didn't read all the posts, but host Kristine Zell doesn't know how to pronounce jewelry.  Makes me nutty. 

Or, Jayne and the way she pronounces saw.  Like, "I saw the rainbow today".  Jayne says:  "I sawl the rainbow today". 

I don't get it.   

@Shaunac

Host Kristine Zell "knows" how to pronounce it.

She pronounces it the same way the famous jewelry designer Stephen Dweck does

which is not a mispronunciation.

https://www.qvc.com/Stephen-Dweck-Choice-of-Sterling-Silver-Signature-Link-Necklace%2C-200g.product....

Honored Contributor

Not to belabor the point (but sure it will), listen to Scott Grimes, RLM, Carolyn Pollack and several others.