Honored Contributor

Re: IT IS NOT “JEW LE RY”

[ Edited ]

Of course if people don't say it like I say it, then they are wrong lol!

Here's another one that gets to me-

caramel-

not carmel!

or 

pointsetta-

not poinsettia

(though either is "acceptable", doesn't it sound weird when someone says it the way you don't?!)

and the way it is spelled, you'd think it would be pronounced the way it is spelled.

ant vs aunt (with a short a)

tomato vs tomato with a short a

language certainly is fascinating as are different dialects and pronunciations.

I'll never forget when I was in DC years ago visiting and I couldn't understand anything a man was saying trying to give us directions!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Yeah, I was watching his show and he cracks me up, I had a friend in high school who was a talker just like SD. I too think it's Stephen's NY accent concerning the jewelry pronunciation.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, that's a pet peeve of mine too.  "joolery" always catches my ear, and not in a good way.  Don't people know how it's spelled.

Honored Contributor

He did not mispronounce the word. Either way is acceptable.

How about the word marquise...?  with a 'keys' or a 'key'? bugs me.  Either way is acceptable here, too.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

So many common mispronunciations in the English language.

Another common one is Espresso (for the coffee beverage) and not Expresso.

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Honored Contributor

And Dweck is laughing all the way to the bank, making all that he does even mispronouncing it.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Of course if people don't say it like I say it, then they are wrong lol!

Here's another one that gets to me-

caramel-

not carmel!

or 

pointsetta-

not poinsettia

(though either is "acceptable", doesn't it sound weird when someone says it the way you don't?!)

and the way it is spelled, you'd think it would be pronounced the way it is spelled.

ant vs aunt (with a short a)

tomato vs tomato with a short a

language certainly is fsacinating as are different dialects and pronunciations.

I'll never forget when I was in DC years ago visiting and I couldn't understand anything a man was saying trying to give us directions!

@on the bay  I don't know but I think it's those people who tawak about drinking cwaffee who don't know  how to say things right!  LOL!!!  Like the firemen who came from "afar." 

Woman Wink

Southern firemen that is, and yes, I'm from the South/Southwest!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Sooner-

haha so true.

Yet I know that lots of people who live in NY (have several close relatives there) really think that

NY is the only real city in the US and there is no city in comparison and no place else they would live!Woman LOL

"If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere, it's up to you! New York! Neeeww Yoorkkk!!"

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Throughout the Stephen Dweck show, he always mispronounced the word. Many people do. It’s pronounced as spelled Jewel-ry. Just a pet peeve of mine.

I have heard people pronounce it both ways tomato, to ma to. We know what people mean when they are saying it.Smiley Happy

@sunshine 919 It may just bother me more, more sensitive to it, because I’m in that business.

@Shanus

While you were ‘on your soap box again’ post you mentioned that your collection of (cosmetic) products was for your professional use.

You are also in the jewelry business.

You are one busy person!  Hats off 🎩⛑🧢

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Throughout the Stephen Dweck show, he always mispronounced the word. Many people do. It’s pronounced as spelled Jewel-ry. Just a pet peeve of mine.

I have heard people pronounce it both ways tomato, to ma to. We know what people mean when they are saying it.Smiley Happy

@sunshine 919 It may just bother me more, more sensitive to it, because I’m in that business.

@Shanus

While you were ‘on your soap box again’ post you mentioned that your collection of (cosmetic) products was for your professional use.

You are also in the jewelry business.

You are one busy person!  Hats off 🎩⛑🧢

@Drythe  Semi-retired jewelry designer/silversmith & semi-retired makeup artist. Both too much fun to completely give up.