Honored Contributor

Re: IT IS NOT “JEW LE RY”

I guess it's one of those things, you ask 10 different people, you'll get more than one pronunciation.

If I'm understanding correctly by reading your title:

IT'S NOT JEW LE RY

It's the 'le ry' instead of 'el ry'---that peeves you off--correct?

I never gave it any thought until your capital letter thread...lol.

The word 'jewel' is safe!  Although I think I only say it in one syllable (jewl) as opposed to jew-el.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm. Lol. All my threads are caps. Just me. Also blue print, go figure.

Honored Contributor

I was watching the I.D. Network last night and one of the real people interviewed about a crime wherein his brother had been murdered pronounced "jewelry" as "jury"  --- twice!

I thought of this thread immediately!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Too funny, @Pearlee!  lol..

Reminds me of a girl I used to work with that said "pacific" whenever she meant "specific".  She was a big hit at work with that one.

Honored Contributor

@Margui wrote:

That's right! Jewelry and jewellery are correct. Just the word tomato being pronounced differently. About the German brand Adidas, it's Adi- das, not Adeeras, like the Americans say it.

I have never, ever heard anyone pronounce Adidas as Adeeras.  "Americans" don't say that.

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

Too funny, @Pearlee!  lol..

Reminds me of a girl I used to work with that said "pacific" whenever she meant "specific".  She was a big hit at work with that one.

I've personally known a number of people who have said pacific instead of specific.  I've also heard talk show guests make the same mistake.

Honored Contributor

Jew-ler-y is a very common pronunciation in parts of the US and Europe.  It used to bug me too.  I don't say it that way but that doesn't make it wrong for those who do.  It is what it is.  I just don't worry about the small stuff anymore. 

Honored Contributor

I go “new-klee-er” when I hear important and sophisticated people say “new-kyuh-ler”. Just the way it hits the ear I guess