Honored Contributor

IS IT STILL STEEL BY DESIGN?

Am guessing they no longer call it "Steel by Design"?   Haven't noticed that moniker in a while.   I like to check the Q's and HSN's offerings occasionally, especially since developing an apparent nickel sensitivity, grrrrrr.

I have decades worth of regular sterling, which I only wear for brief periods, since I don't want to trigger any reactions.  Now sticking to Ultrafine silver, and wearing my old Steel by Design pieces.  Does anybody know of any other hypoallergenic lines?

For some reason, I'm thinking Veronese bills itself as 'nickel free'?  But maybe they are phasing out too-- haven't noticed one of the their shows in quite some time.

Found one cute steel bangle here.  It's the tassel that makes it!  It has a carefree sort of fun vibe.  I've been layering it with an Ultrafine snake chain and a chunky horseshoe link bracelet.  It's supposedly a 7 1/4 inch, but runs big on me, so it's best to layer it.

https://www.qvc.com/Stainless-Steel-Crosses-and-Tassel-Charm-Bangle.product.J331233.html?sc=SRCH

Curious as to whether anyone else here still checks out the steel lines...

Honored Contributor

Re: IS IT STILL STEEL BY DESIGN?

@Oznell

I have a nickel allergy also. I remember a discussion awhile ago about a product you could coat your silver with to eliminate the rash caused by nickel. Unfortunately, I don’t remember the product name. 

Your jeweler may be able to suggest something also. 

Esteemed Contributor

Some is, some isn't, labelled SBD.  I do enjoy the Q's SS selection.  Stainless is great everyday jewelry, able to be sweated in (yes, I actually do!), showered in, slept in, can take everyday life - and for the most part the price is modest.

I love to pair it with rose-gold plated pieces and sterling.  I can keep it on the counter with no worries about tarnishing.

I do wear my stainless steel often.  Cute bracelet!

Cogito ergo sum
Frequent Contributor

They still sell steel by design go to jewlery all brands .

Esteemed Contributor

I've ordered some pieces from HSN's Stately Steel line and have been very satisfied.

Also have some pieces from QVC's Steel by Design line.

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell, I believe that Ultrafine Silver at the Q is nickel-free.  They had some lovely pieces last time I looked but it has been a while.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

HSN use to have Emma Skye which is another vendor who is gone, but that line had cute pieces.  I purchased a necklace that is two tone and the gold color never tarnishes.  I am hopeing this line will show up somewhere else. The pieces were stainless steel.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

Am guessing they no longer call it "Steel by Design"?   Haven't noticed that moniker in a while.   I like to check the Q's and HSN's offerings occasionally, especially since developing an apparent nickel sensitivity, grrrrrr.

I have decades worth of regular sterling, which I only wear for brief periods, since I don't want to trigger any reactions.  Now sticking to Ultrafine silver, and wearing my old Steel by Design pieces.  Does anybody know of any other hypoallergenic lines?

For some reason, I'm thinking Veronese bills itself as 'nickel free'?  But maybe they are phasing out too-- haven't noticed one of the their shows in quite some time.

Found one cute steel bangle here.  It's the tassel that makes it!  It has a carefree sort of fun vibe.  I've been layering it with an Ultrafine snake chain and a chunky horseshoe link bracelet.  It's supposedly a 7 1/4 inch, but runs big on me, so it's best to layer it.

https://www.qvc.com/Stainless-Steel-Crosses-and-Tassel-Charm-Bangle.product.J331233.html?sc=SRCH

Curious as to whether anyone else here still checks out the steel lines...

Good morning @Oznell. Kay Jewelers and Ross-Simons among others carry Stainless Steel jewelry. If you google it, I came up with many stores where you can find it. Happy shopping. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks all for helpful suggestions and resources!

Honored Contributor

I check out this line periodically but yes it's on it's way out. If anyone is interested especially in earrings, there are tons out there under the 'jewelry' category on the homepage.