Super Contributor

Re: I wish Gem Day was still affordable

On 1/8/2015 poshmini said:

I used to buy at the gem stone sales at the Q but like the other replies I couldn't agree more that it's way to expensive for me. So I now shop for jewelry at JTV. They have price points for everyone. And the morganite is affordable for everyone as well. The pieces I've bought are very nice and well made and they have a good service and reps to help you out. I shopped at Christmas time and got some really nice pieces for gifts. This is the place to get a nice piece of bling for a whole lot less. Oh and their CZ simulant Bella Luce is so well worth it and great prices too, you have to check it out, you won't be disappointed in the selection, since jewelry ( and jewelry related items) is all they sell

Well said, poshmini!! I have found some wonderful bargains there and their CZ simulant is beautiful!

Esteemed Contributor

I also miss the old days. These prices were very expensive. Yes, I do realize that the price of everything has gone up, however, most incomes have not.........especially fixed incomes. I looked online; not worth the time to watch. I did see 2-3 of Jane's items; I already have the turquoise watch, I chose to change the channel.
Honored Contributor

It isn't just about everything having gone up, I think we all know that it has. And while it is wonderful to see some high end gemstones set in gold again, I think what some were reacting to was the relative lack of much availability of more affordable and more traditional gemstones. There were a handful of pieces priced for the 'average' buyer, but a great deal of it was well into the hundreds of dollars, and for many folks, that's a bit much.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/9/2015 stevieb said:

It isn't just about everything having gone up, I think we all know that it has. And while it is wonderful to see some high end gemstones set in gold again, I think what some were reacting to was the relative lack of much availability of more affordable and more traditional gemstones. There were a handful of pieces priced for the 'average' buyer, but a great deal of it was well into the hundreds of dollars, and for many folks, that's a bit much.

I agree. I watched some of it when I got home from work, but that meant I was looking at alexandrite and diamonds in gold, which is fine but all things considered, I simply wasn't in the market for jewelry in that price range. Lovely to look at but that is all I was willing to do.

Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 GinaV24 said:
On 1/9/2015 stevieb said:

I agree. I watched some of it when I got home from work, but that meant I was looking at alexandrite and diamonds in gold, which is fine but all things considered, I simply wasn't in the market for jewelry in that price range. Lovely to look at but that is all I was willing to do.

And then they claim jewelry doesn't sell, so instead of regular gem shows we get them now twice a year with a steady diet of Bronzo and fake in between...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

On 1/8/2015 newlook said:

Maybe the Q is going after the 1% of the world's population who own more than 48% of the world's wealth. They obviously have our faces pressed against the glass on this show IMO.

oh please.....

Contributor

I watched some of the shows and couldn't believe the prices either - for those prices I would want to see the item in person before spending that kind of money. I thought about treating myself to a ring on easy pay, but read the customer reviews on some of the items .... stones falling out etc. So needless to say I didn't purchase anything.

Respected Contributor

On 1/8/2015 ellaphant said:
On 1/8/2015 Chrystaltree said:

...yeah..yeah...yeah Cry me a river. You could ride a bus for a dime, a cup of coffee costs 25 cents, bread was 40 cents a loaf and a good pair of shoes cost $10....lol That was then, this is now. Get over it.

So rude! 'Get over it'? WHO ARE YOU?? People are voicing opinions, which is what this board is for.

Everything is relative and in context. Don't know your age, but I've never seen a 40 cent loaf of bread.Give me a break.

Yes, times change, prices go up.

I agree. What is your post in reference to? I'm 80, and YES, I remember when things were a lot cheaper. I could get a 25 cent allowance, spend 5 cents for a streetcar ride to "town", see a movie for 10 cents, popcorn 5 cents, and have a nickel left over, which I could use for the return streetcar ride or buy a very large ice cream cone and walk home. If you didn't like the movie, you could spend the day sitting in the big old magnolia trees at the library and reading book after book.

Gasoline was 20 cents a gallon, bread was maybe 25 cents a loaf but you usually baked your own. And ice for your ice box was a nickel for 25 pounds. BUT, hardly anyone had a car unless they were pretty wealthy. And I honestly don't remember anyone having a diamond ring, much less a gemstone.

So whoever you are, you get over it. Times change, but sadly some people never do.

Honored Contributor

Some of the prices were certainly out of my reach but I also thought a lot were very reasonable given the current price of gold. I bought a piece in 14k and hope it is as nice in person as I thought it was online.

Respected Contributor

I don't buy 14K much anymore because I remember how cheap it was in the 90s so it's hard to think about paying today's prices. In addition, it seems white metals are more popular than yellow right now.

I was very happy with the SS sleeping beauty ring for around $50 that I ordered. I hope it's nice and is a keeper. I'm trying to get more SS so I have white metals but don't have to pay like it was gold.

-Kalli