Super Contributor

Re: I wish Gem Day was still affordable

DH and I were watching the Opal Show at 6 p.m. (He loves Opals!) He was goo-gooing over the OTO Ethiopian Opal necklace and wanted to buy it for me...after I calculated the price + tax + shipping, I said NO. It's simply not something I would wear, even occasionally.

BTW, for our second Christmas together, in 1975, he gave me an Opal/Amethyst Ring in 14 kt gold (it sounds like a weird combination, but somehow it "works") {#emotions_dlg.blink} that he bought at a small jewelry store in Houston and I loved it (the color combos really "fit in" with the '70s) {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I rarely wear it now, but I went upstairs and brought down that ring to show him and that I still have it...and we went down Memory Lane, revisiting our lives all those years ago.

The REALLY bizarre things about the ring are that 1) our (future) Children's birthstones turned out to be Opal & Amethyst AND 2) that his birthstone is Amethyst and his Biological Mom's birthstone is Opal...{#emotions_dlg.scared}{#emotions_dlg.w00t} Totally Freaky !!! Cool

Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2015 maryebrown said:

DH and I were watching the Opal Show at 6 p.m. (He loves Opals!) He was goo-gooing over the OTO Ethiopian Opal necklace and wanted to buy it for me...after I calculated the price + tax + shipping, I said NO. It's simply not something I would wear, even occasionally.

BTW, for our second Christmas together, in 1975, he gave me an Opal/Amethyst Ring in 14 kt gold (it sounds like a weird combination, but somehow it "works") {#emotions_dlg.blink} that he bought at a small jewelry store in Houston and I loved it (the color combos really "fit in" with the '70s) {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I rarely wear it now, but I went upstairs and brought down that ring to show him and that I still have it...and we went down Memory Lane, revisiting our lives all those years ago.

The REALLY bizarre things about the ring are that 1) our (future) Children's birthstones turned out to be Opal & Amethyst AND 2) that his birthstone is Amethyst and his Biological Mom's birthstone is Opal...{#emotions_dlg.scared}{#emotions_dlg.w00t} Totally Freaky !!! Cool

Hi MEB, I've only recently come to love opals, but wasn't wowed by much in today's opal show... I thought the necklace was pretty, but sort of pricey for what it was... and think you made a wise choice. I do love white opals and the occasional fire and pink opal, but those exotics just look cheesy to me...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

On 1/8/2015 stevieb said:
On 1/8/2015 maryebrown said:

DH and I were watching the Opal Show at 6 p.m. (He <em>loves</em> Opals!) He was goo-gooing over the OTO Ethiopian Opal necklace and wanted to buy it for me...after I calculated the price + tax + shipping, I said NO. It's simply not something I would wear, even occasionally.

Hi MEB, I've only recently come to love opals, but wasn't wowed by much in today's opal show... I thought the necklace was pretty, but sort of pricey for what it was... and think you made a wise choice. I do love white opals and the occasional fire and pink opal, but those exotics just look cheesy to me...

DH was also looking at the "fiery opals" (those ranging from orange, red, yellow) and he said they looked like the stuff from the Gumball Machines, and had adorned his "Western Pants" (for his make-believe - their *Shoot-Out* reenactments, with his older brother) during those late 1950s shows on TV {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

I agree, too many item's over $1000. It's fine to have a few special high end pieces, but there is way too much that is just too expensive. Aren't gold prices about half of what they were a few years ago? Why aren't we seeing that reflected in prices?

Respected Contributor

People are never happy! First they complained on the lack of gold,and now when they have got gold it is too expensive. Yes, gold IS expensive these days, that is why I personally do not see any reason for myself to buy anything. There will be no more prices that we all paid 15-20 years ago. Period
Respected Contributor

I agree with the OP.

Affordable gemstone is SS would suit my needs perfectly.

I think most of the stuff they are selling is over priced today.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

I don't necessarily think the bulk of the pieces shown were 'over-priced' but yes, a lot of it is expensive... I also don't think people are necessarily complaining about the gold presence at all. In fact, I think most of us are happy to see it. I think the issue, as is all to often the case lately with the Q, is the relative lack of range... variety... choices... But yes, the offerings, for the most part, were beautiful and a more than welcome change.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

I wish life was still affordable..

Super Contributor

Everything has gone up in price. Lots of viewers wanted more gold/gem shows. They are willling to treat themselves to maybe one good piece a year. Many don't think it's worth the money to buy gold filled, gold over sterings, "bronzo" . They rather wait for that one special piece. I guess QVC heard them. It'll be interesting to see if they have more time slots for gold, gems, etc. Most "fashion jewelry" is in the 100s, 200s and up $$$. But, it's still "fashion jewelry" not real gold or even all silver. There's something for everybody.

Valued Contributor

To those who mention that everything has gone up in price, etc. that is certainly true and I completely recognize that fact. All I was saying is I wish QVC would still offer more reasonably priced gemstones like they used to and more affordable styles, like artisan crafted. Of course such pieces would be quite a bit higher than they used to be, but still more affordable than what they showed yesterday. Perhaps the summer Gem Day will be better. I happen to still love my deep red garnet, beautiful peridot, various shades of blue topaz, etc., not to mention how much I missed seeing opaque gemstones like mother of pearl and jade, etc. There are many, many, many more beautiful and less pricey gemstones out there than what the Q showed yesterday. More variety please!!