Regular Contributor

Re: I wish Gem Day was still affordable

I would rather buy one nice piece of jewelry than a bunch of $50 rings so maybe everything isn't for every audience. I am enjoying it and shopping.
Valued Contributor

I have a turquoise ring I paid about $30 for back in the day. Now worth about $80 now.

Honored Contributor

Agreed. It seems QVC is now feast or famine. Either they show junk gemstones and costume jewelry or they show such pricey pieces ensuring most customers can't 'go there'. It's a shame. I enjoyed looking at their offerings but wasn't buying. They go this route and then they claim jewelry doesn't sell. It's really too bad that there's no longer any middle ground here. And yes, also too bad there aren't ever any gemstones like garnet and citrine presented here anymore... While I certainly prefer this to computers, blenders and mattresses, again there IS a middle ground and they need to find it. The fact that some of us are fully tired of bronze and black spinel doesn't mean we aren't interested in jewelry but they could mix it up a bit better than they've been doing with jewelry lately. And frankly, I'm sick of Sleeping Beauty turquoise and don't care that the mine is closed!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

On 1/8/2015 stevieb said:

Agreed. It seems QVC is now feast or famine. Either they show junk gemstones and costume jewelry or they show such pricey pieces ensuring most customers can't 'go there'. It's a shame. I enjoyed looking at their offerings but wasn't buying. They go this route and then they claim jewelry doesn't sell. It's really too bad that there's no longer any middle ground here. And yes, also too bad there aren't ever any gemstones like garnet and citrine presented here anymore... While I certainly prefer this to computers, blenders and mattresses, again there IS a middle ground and they need to find it. The fact that some of us are fully tired of bronze and black spinel doesn't mean we aren't interested in jewelry but they could mix it up a bit better than they've been doing with jewelry lately. And frankly, I'm sick of Sleeping Beauty turquoise and don't care that the mine is closed!

I just think people like to complain. I bought the garnet bracelet they presented today.
Super Contributor

Love to look at the pretty gems......would love to buy something too but prices are more than I want to spend........my first purchases at the Q over 20 years ago were jewelry items........
Esteemed Contributor

I am enjoying the gem day....its so refreshing compared to the drivel we have been subject to over the past year....

Unfortunately the gems are not in my price range...but I still like looking at them....and liking the Hosts, too...

Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2015 circles said:

I am enjoying the gem day....its so refreshing compared to the drivel we have been subject to over the past year....

Unfortunately the gems are not in my price range...but I still like looking at them....and liking the Hosts, too...

Agree, it's fun to look at the beautiful things... and am thankful it's not computers, blenders or mattresses... I enjoyed the morning shows with Pat and later with Antonella...

Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2015 Beckron said:
On 1/8/2015 stevieb said:

I just think people like to complain. I bought the garnet bracelet they presented today.

Let me know if you stumble across a pretty deep red garnet ring set in gold for under a thousand... Glad you detected a garnet bracelet. Hoping you enjoy it. Meanwhile, I'll just complain...

Respected Contributor

While I haven't bought anything today, it's nice to see some jewelry with gemstones, instead of the usual costume jewelry quality stuff they've had for a long time. It would have been really nice if they would have had this program on a month ago. Jewelry is always a nice thing to give/receive for Christmas presents, birthdays and other events. Better jewelry may be expensive, but so are electronics, beds, Dysons and LaZBoys and it will last a lifetime, unlike those other items. As for the really expensive pieces, I sure wouldn't buy them from a tv station. I'd rather go into a shop and see the items first hand.

Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2015 Beckron said: I would rather buy one nice piece of jewelry than a bunch of $50 rings so maybe everything isn't for every audience. I am enjoying it and shopping.

Agreed and maybe every show isn't for everyone... Still, perhaps what some of us complainers are saying is that in recent years, QVC's all too rare gemstone shows appear to offer very little variety for an audience that appreciates gemstones (other than a steady diet of Sleeping Beauty turquoise) but in a more modest range.