Trusted Contributor

I've broken my Karamica watch

I looked down at my wrist today to see my watch with the winder (for lack of a better word) gone!!!

I'm upset because I paid a tidy sum about 5 years ago for this piece. It is a large watch with diamonds, some on the winder, too. Have any of you had success getting these ceramic watches repaired? 

Up until today this watch has made me very happy every time I look at it the 50 or so times each and every day. Now all I see is a gaping empty space. Woman Sad

dee

Respected Contributor

Re: I've broken my Karamica watch

See
So sorry to hear that happened to you. I recently posted that SWI closed its doors in January of this year.
i never had that happen with my Karamica. I had to take my Technomarine in repair because I broke the bracelet and the where it attaches .Cost 100 dollars to repair. That was a Swiss made piece that cost almost three times as much as that Karamica.
Perhaps you could find a good watchmaker to look at it. Perhaps they could put some kind of stem and crown
I don't know what else you could do since Swiss Legend is gone. If I didn't make this clear, SWI had owned Swiss Legend. Btw, this may also apply to.Lucien Piccard watches.
The family had sold out to A private equity firm several years ago and at some point, things started to go downhill. Again, I am sorry this happened.
Honored Contributor

Find an independent watch/clock repair in your city and see if they can fix it.  

Respected Contributor

Dee:  I agree with the others,  find an independent watch maker.  From your description it sounds like the stem (crown) fell out and was lost.  A watch maker can probably find another stem that would fit and make your watch functional again.   It won't be a match for the one you lost,  but it might look just fine.  Depending upon why the stem fell out and the cost of the replacement part,  will affect how much the repair will cost.  It could be quite simple.... an internal screw got loose,  or it could be more involved.  If you can get more than one estimate,  you will be able to make a better decision.

If there are no independent jewelers who are watch makers in your area,  try a very high end jewelry store that sells very, very expensive upscale watch brands.   They often have a watch maker on site.   Don't go to a mall or chain jeweler.  Also,  find out if the store is doing the repair themselves or are sending the watch to a watch maker for repair.  My watch maker repairs watches for many jewelers,  both those in the area and those who mail him watches to fix.

Trusted Contributor

@JavaQueen @Lavenderjunkie There are still some Karamicas available on eBay. I wonder if she could buy one of those and give to a watchmaker to use the stem from that watch as a replacement for hers? Do you think that would work? If it would work, she may be able to find one on eBay inexpensive enough that it might be worth it to her.

Respected Contributor

aprimo:  it's possible.   But she said her watch had diamonds on the stem,  so at best she might get a plain stem in the matching metal and ceramic color.  But my concern is that the stem is on of the most fragile parts of the watch.... who knows what condition the watch maker would find the stem on an ebay bargain.  If the watch maker can't find an acceptable replacement stem,  then buying another Karamica might be an option to explore.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for this information, @JavaQueen. I didn't know about Swiss Legend's demise. I thought my watch would be around forever in good working order, so never followed the company Woman Sad. I've tried one repair shop with no success, I will try another one nearby next week. It really is a beautiful timepiece and has been well loved . 

dee

Trusted Contributor

Thank you also to @Lavenderjunkie@aprimo, and @CalminHeart for your suggestions, too. I just remembered a local small jeweler that perhaps may help. The main reason I posted at first is because I was feeling so desolate right after it happened.

Thank you, again, to all who helped. It's good to have friends here Heart

dee

Trusted Contributor

@deedledeedeedle I hope you are successful in getting your Karamica fixed. I'd love to see a picture of, since it sounds beautiful and I don't think I've ever seen that particular model.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You're welcome!

This happens more than you would think. There have been so many changes in manufcaturing practices. Also, so many acquaisitions and mergers.

I have watches that are 20 years old. They're still going strong. Most watches that are in the midrange (that is what that Karamica is) should last a very long time. Swiss Legend at least guaranteed the movement for 5 yeras and their crystals for ten. 

This is a shame, because the founders were committed to their customers. (in the beginning, at least) 

Good luck. The Karamica is really such a good watch and I know women who purchased them even they afford the J12.  Most people didn't have problems with Swiss Legend watches, but things do happen to all watches--even Omegas and Rolexes. I have seen the people in the watch repair dept. at Tourneau.

Pleaee report back and let us know. If you don't find anyone, I will make inquires through the watch forum. Some of the guys are very knowledgeable.