Contributor

Re: I remember when I could afford Gem Day jewelry!

I agree. I have been watching JTV and Shop hq. Their jewelry is much more affordable.

Super Contributor

ITA, Gem day used to be wonderful! Full of many beautiful things and great prices.

QVC just doesn't offer the jewelry it used to or the quality. So sad.

I never watch anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/4/2014 ennui1 said:
On 1/4/2014 gardensla said:
On 1/3/2014 ennui1 said:

Did anyone buy anything? Do we need a topic for reviews?

I'm surprised at affordable things that are still available.

I had to go on wait list for the two things I want!

Which items caught your eye?

Asscher Garnet Ring (it's the trifecta for me--garnet, gold, asscher)

Sleeping Beauty Cross (so unusual, and the scale is ideal)

I'm not holding out much hope of one day owning either, but maybe someone will cancel or return!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

I ordered the alexandrite cross. The larger stones are really nice, with some color change. The gold setting was heavy enough too. The small stones didn't sparkle a lot but still had some shine to them. The downside is that it's an enhancer. I took it to my jeweler and he's going to solder it at the joint and clasp so it's stronger. It would have been better with a nice solid bail.

Esteemed Contributor

Most of the jewelry was way too expensive for me to buy, however, it was so nice to have a full day of jewelry. I really do miss all of the great jewelry shows of years gone by.

Trusted Contributor

I was able to watch a few shows on gem day. I had to work so missed a chunk of the programming but taped what I didn't want to miss.

Overall I would say gem day was successful in what they had to offer. I was very happy to see quite a bit of 14k gold pieces. I do wish there would have been more EP offered on those higher end pieces. I definitely would have taken advantage. I ordered some things and am on waitlist for things and have some coming on advance order.

I like that Ostro blue topaz was back. I do not have any pieces from when it was offered years ago and did order some this time around. The ring I wanted was not on EP so I opted for the ring that was but am not wowed by the plain band shown in the on-air presentation. I am hoping when it arrives in person I will be happy with it. Am on waitlist for the Ostro London blue topaz band ring. That sold out right away. I wish I had ordered before the show started so mine would be on its way. I actually ordered another one as a gift. Very well-priced.

I like that they only ordered small quantities of the more expensive pieces. It makes sense and if that is the only way they will offer more 14k then I am okay with that. I also like that the TSV sold out in its first airing which allowed for OTO's all day. It also seemed the OTO's that I saw were also pricier items which I also liked. I shall say it again, more EP would have been nice.

I look forward to the gold rush at the end of the month and hope they have a wide variety of price points and EP.

Super Contributor

On 1/6/2014 Sakuya said:

I like that Ostro blue topaz was back. I do not have any pieces from when it was offered years ago and did order some this time around. The ring I wanted was not on EP so I opted for the ring that was but am not wowed by the plain band shown in the on-air presentation. I am hoping when it arrives in person I will be happy with it. Am on waitlist for the Ostro London blue topaz band ring. That sold out right away. I wish I had ordered before the show started so mine would be on its way. I actually ordered another one as a gift. Very well-priced.

The London blue ring for $59 was always on advanced order. I ordered before the presentation, and was surprised to see my order show as an advanced order when I looked at my order status. I went back and watched the video from when it *was* presented, and sure enough, you had to watch carefully, but they did put up in the graphic on the left that it was advanced orders and would ship Jan. 20. It was deceiving because they also said there were 800 to go around. I guess that meant how many could be made on advance order, but it wasn't clearly stated as such.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/6/2014 jetts_mom said:
On 1/6/2014 Sakuya said:

The London blue ring for $59 was always on advanced order. I ordered before the presentation, and was surprised to see my order show as an advanced order when I looked at my order status. I went back and watched the video from when it *was* presented, and sure enough, you had to watch carefully, but they did put up in the graphic on the left that it was advanced orders and would ship Jan. 20. It was deceiving because they also said there were 800 to go around. I guess that meant how many could be made on advance order, but it wasn't clearly stated as such.

Now that you mention it, I believe all the Ostro pieces were advance order, but the $59 ring sold out on advance order right away. A lot of presence in that ring for the price. I hope to have my waitlist orders filled on that ring. At least now that you've reminded me about the advance order I won't be checking the mail every day for the Ostro ring I did get since it won't be shipping for another couple weeks.

The sleeping beauty bracelet I ordered sold out but they had advance orders for shipment in March sometime. That is when mine will be arriving. By then I will have forgotten about it so it will be a nice surprise to receive it in the mail.

Super Contributor

On 1/4/2014 alice87 said:
On 1/2/2014 ennui1 said:

The turquoise OTO -- J147584 -- rerun! QVC offered these earrings about 10 years ago. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

I had similar earrings with sapphires from 10 years ago, bought then in TJMAXX for 50 dollars then.

sorry for confusion. It was actually a blue topaz. I bought two pairs of earrings on the same day, and the other pair was with sapphires.

Occasional Contributor

what is the purpose of gem day? i thought it was to obtain bargains. if the item was not a ONE TIME ONLY PRICE or on "easy pay," there were no bargains, just the same high prices.

i NEVER buy on easy pay. don't want any errors on my credit card from an extra payment.

easy pay is NO bargain to me. you STILL have to pay the full price.

wake up!