Respected Contributor

I'm shopping for a gold chain

I kind of like the hammered link gold chain here but think it might look "puny." J307864

On the other hand, I don't want a beefy chain, either. Just a little bling for everyday wear. In my dreams, I'd like a 16" twisted rope 14K. in a modest size but not skimpy looking. Twisted rope is strong enough to stand up to regular wearing.  Probably outside of my budget tho'.

Any suggestions?

Respected Contributor

Re: I'm shopping for a gold chain

Look at Macy's and Ross Simons. THey  have twisted ropes on sale.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In 2 words: Pawn Shop, the best prices you'll ever find, because they don't loan much on them, looking for a 'steal', you'd be surprised how many people 'forget' about the pawn, which most expire in 30 days.

ETA: They're always polished and cleaned up, allowing for you to 'see' any imperfections too!

Good luck in your search!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

1.6 mm...sounds "puny" to me, too -- and they don't give the gram weight

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Another new name Sue 

For a little everyday bling I would suggest a chain that has some substance to it, e.g. a foxtail weave.  Then find a small pendant, initial, cross, heart, flag, or other symbol that has special meaning for you.

Then the " dangle " becomes the bling / point of interest.

I really like suggestion of a pawn shop....try one until you find the right size / shape weave of the gold.  The only weave I would stay away from: Byzantine because the little wires catch on every thing, break off, and the repairs can get expensive.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Try Ross Simons

Respected Contributor

Yes, I think it looks a bit tiny and I cannot stand those spring ring closures. I much prefer lobster clasps.

I used to buy a lot of chains from Michael Anthony on HSN, but because he is gone now, I have purchased many from Stefano Oro on ShopHQ.  They do tell you the gram weight.  For a lightweight chain, I own the Raggio di Sole, but he also has many, many paperclip and other chain styles that go from super thin to 24 grams!  They have videos of almost everything so you can see what it looks like.

Right now Shop HQ has a 15% off coupon code--not sure if they will have anything better on Black Friday.

If you lived in eastern PA, you could stop in the QVC outlet stores and see if they have any gold chains at bargain prices.

Good luck shopping!

Respected Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper whoa, I didn't notice that spring ring.  I'm not a fan of those either.

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.  

Super Contributor

I bought a 1.5 mm gold Singapore chain on Amazon.  It is not puny and it is very shiny, has a great presence.  I love it.  I can't link it but you can do a search.  It comes in a lot of lengths and yellow or white gold.  It is sold by Jewelstop.  You would not be disappointed.