Honored Contributor

Isn't Diamonique lab grown?

Honored Contributor

Yes.

Diamonique vs diamond is a question often pondered during many jewelry purchases. We will compare the two in this article. Carbon buried deep within the earth creates diamonds. Diamonds are a pure crystalline form of this element. Scientists believe it takes billions of years for the carbon to turn into a diamond. Once formed, we mine the precious stone from the earth. Diamonique is a manufactured gemstone created in laboratories. They do not have the same organic properties. We will explore the visual and quality differences between the two.

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm confused

[ Edited ]

Yes, but a CZ has a different chemical and physical makeup than a diamond. In simple terms, they do not sparkle the same.

Technically, Moissanite should really be called lab grown Moissanite because that gem exists naturally in the earth. But you will never see it sold as such because it's waaay too small for jewelry.

*********'  'Lab grown' simply means man made and it designates where the stone came into existence, not the recipe (synthetic/created or artificial) used to make it.  ********

Occasional Contributor

There are lab grown diamonds---

There is cubic zirconia--which is also lab grown--and NOT diamond

Respected Contributor

Think of the difference between diamonds and Diamonique (QVC trademarked brand of cubic zirconia) this way, Hollysunshine.  Apple juice and orange juice are both fruit juices, but their chemical makeup is totally different.  Diamonds and CZ are both gemstones, but their chemical makeup is totally different.  You can grow orange trees in an orchard, harvest the fruit and make orange juice.  Or you can grow an orange tree in a greenhouse, harvest the fruit, and make orange juice.  They are both still orange juice.  You can mine a diamond out of the earth, cut and polish it, and set it in jewelry, or you can grow it in a lab, using carbon and ultra-high pressure, cut and polish it and set it in jewelry, both are still diamonds.  The source or method of creation do not make either a fruit juice or a gemstone the same or different, it all comes down to the chemical properties.

Esteemed Contributor

@CamilleP  There is still a difference in a natural diamond which can be detected . It’s more valuable.

Many jewelers can’t tell the difference. I would never buy a very expensive diamond unless the jeweler was reputable.

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Isn't Diamonique lab grown?

I always thought that Diamonique was a diamond simulant just like CZ and not synthetic or lab grown. When I purchased items from JTV they were careful to distinguish the difference between an item being simulant or diamond simulated vs lab created which is just like a real diamond.

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm confused

[ Edited ]

A cubic zirconia is made from zirconium dioxide, grown in a lab to LOOK like a diamond

A simulant does not have the same chemical materials but it does have similar properties.

Lab grown can mean it's the same, only man made.

It can be confusing and the hosts don't help, either on QVC or JTV

Edit   I just looked at the QVC TSV on their lab grown diamond earrings.

The price is excellent.   Called Fire Light

Honored Contributor

Thanks,Software.

Occasional Contributor

So--half of your first sentence is correct :-)  Diamonique is a diamond simulant just like CZ. In fact is  CZ.   It IS lab grown, though not the same thing as a lab created diamond.   Many channels have their own name for the CZ they use--since CZ comes in different qualities. Until now, QVC hasn't had lab created diamonds--so it hasn't come up.