Honored Contributor

I was reading some reviews on some rings I really like, and one woman wrote that others asked her if it was an engagement ring. That got me to wondering, if you got an engagement ring today, would you prefer a traditional setting or would you go with another style, non-traditional but something you really thought was beautiful?

Usually as a recipient you are surprised with the ring, (I was), but if you looked together, so they could see the style you liked.

Respected Contributor

my moms cousin got a turquoise(solitaire) ring as her engagement ring since she is from Arizona and is what she wanted after moving east. It looks really pretty with her wedding ring. I have a friend that has a pink sapphire as her engagement ring so, I think it is up to the individual and what they like regardless of so called tradition.

Honored Contributor

I love rings of all kinds. Ever since I was a small child I have been intrigued with rings and this has always been my favorite piece of jewelry.

I really like more of a traditional engagement ring though. One, that when you look at it, there is no doubt that it is, indeed, an engagement ring.

There are so many gorgeous styles to choice from these days. And metals --- white, yellow, rose, etc.

Personally, I love the look of vintage rings. My ring is not vintage or antique, but given the choice, this would be what I would want.

Mine is very simple and classic and I never tire of looking at it. It is platinum, with a simple stone in the middle, 4 prong setting, with a baguette on either side. It is on the smallish side which I felt looked better since I have very small hands and fingers.

While it's nice to get a surprise in a way, I think it is much better to go look at an engagement ring together. Even if the ring is not selected at the time, the future groom will then know what the future wife likes in rings and she will be very happy with the choice. After all, this will be worn, hopefully, for the rest of her life!!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor
I'm on a jewelry/ring kick lately and I have no idea why. Most of my jewelry has been purchased 10-15 or more years ago. I think I've bought two or three inexpensive rings since then. Suddenly I have a ring fixation lol..I want a mandarin garnet ring desperately, a pink saphire and a tanzanite..lol...now after seeing someones picture here of their London blue topaz ring I decided I wanted that too. After ordering a ring from hsn and having them send me the wrong item, I went ahead and purchased a London blue topaz ring here and can't wait to get it. It's sizable too which is not really my style, I like small pieces. Now to your question, I have a .75 pear shaped solitare engagement ring. Very simple, thin band and I still like that took today except I would definitely like a cushion cut diamond, I would also consider a mandarin garnet engement ring, that stone is so absolutely gorgeous.
Esteemed Contributor

There are men with exceptional taste, so a surprise from them would be fine! My SIL is one such person.

And there are men like mine...who has other gifts. So, I made sure he knew what I would be happy with.

In the movie on TCM last night, Ann Southern was wearing the largest amethyst stone ring with diamonds on the sides. Must have weighed in the 60-75 carat range! I could never clunk around the harp wearing a piece like that, although I do have some large stone rings (including an amethyst) but I just don't wear anything now due to my playing the harp.

But I'm definitely a non-traditional type!

Honored Contributor

I'd prefer an engagement ring that didn't scream 'engagement ring', probably not even a diamond. Diamond engagement rings are pretty, well, many of them are, but I don't know, there's something a little bit trite about it...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor
On 3/19/2015 AngelPuppy1 said:

I love rings of all kinds. Ever since I was a small child I have been intrigued with rings and this has always been my favorite piece of jewelry.

I really like more of a traditional engagement ring though. One, that when you look at it, there is no doubt that it is, indeed, an engagement ring.

There are so many gorgeous styles to choice from tthese days. And metals --- white, yellow, rose, etc.

Personally, I love the look of vintage rings. My ring is not vintage or antique, but given the choice, this would be what I would want.

Mine is very simple and classic and I never tire of looking at it. It is platinum, with a simple stone in the middle, 4 prong setting, with a baguette on either side. It is on the smallish side which I felt looked better since I have very small hands and fingers.

While it's nice to get a surprise in a way, I think it is much better to go look at an engagement ring together. Even if the ring is not selected at the time, the future groom will then know what the future wife likes in rings and she will be very happy with the choice. After all, this will be worn, hopefully, for the rest of her life!!!

May be I am your lost sister! Lol I feel just the same about rings , ever since I was a little girl and when it comes to wedding sets I gravitate toward vintage style . I think I like vintage styles in all jewelry in general.
Esteemed Contributor
On 3/19/2015 Debbie555 said: I'm on a jewelry/ring kick lately and I have no idea why. Most of my jewelry has been purchased 10-15 or more years ago. I think I've bought two or three inexpensive rings since then. Suddenly I have a ring fixation lol..I want a mandarin garnet ring desperately, a pink saphire and a tanzanite..lol...now after seeing someones picture here of their London blue topaz ring I decided I wanted that too. After ordering a ring from hsn and having them send me the wrong item, I went ahead and purchased a London blue topaz ring here and can't wait to get it. It's sizable too which is not really my style, I like small pieces. Now to your question, I have a .75 pear shaped solitare engagement ring. Very simple, thin band and I still like that took today except I would definitely like a cushion cut diamond, I would also consider a mandarin garnet engement ring, that stone is so absolutely gorgeous.

Debbie, I had to look up mandarin garnet. That color is beautiful! You can purchase loose stones for cheap on Amazon. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I like the idea of something other than a diamond engagement ring. It's nice for the intendeds to shop together for something, but surprises are good too if the young man knows for sure what would be well received.

Here's my question, would the lady then wear the engagement ring on her right hand and a simple band on her left?

Quality--do you wear a lot of rings? Every day?

Esteemed Contributor

I don't own a one. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

After getting divorced I think I suffered PTSD whenever I looked at a ring. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

On a serious note, some of the girls at work who are engaged have either the more modern styles of engagement ring which I don't like or a few who have eclectic tastes and have chosen sapphires.

If I were to venture that way again I'd like something more traditional but a few styles like marquise solitaire now look dated to me.