Trusted Contributor

I love jewelry, but I wonder how much I need?

Has anyone here actually counted every piece of jewelry you own? I have and I am amazed that I have so much and that I actually enjoy watching QVC jewelry shows or perusing bluenile.com and pearlparadise.com and put things on my wish list. I have so much already. What's the matter with me?!

Respected Contributor

Re: I love jewelry, but I wonder how much I need?

Do we really NEED any of it?  Probably no.  Do we enjoy it and enjoy wearing it, yes.  Nothing wrong with that ... or you. 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of the link to a retail site.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Most of the jewelry that I've acquired over the years sits in my jewelry boxes nowadays. I find myself changing it much less often.  I used to coordinate my jewelry & watch with whatever I was wearing, even if I were just running errands.

Honored Contributor

I love jewelry too.  I have quite a lot of jewelry.  Most of my really expensive jewelry my late husband bought me, I gave to my  adult daughters when he died.

I never leave the house without looking like Mr. T (remember him with the jewelry).  Ha!  Everything matches whatever I'm wearing.  It's always 3 or 4 bracelets on each arm, a necklace and matching earrings.

That's my favorite part of 'dressing up'.  Every time I leave the house you'd think I was going to work (I haven't worked in over 40 years).  Ha!

I don't apologize to anyone for the way I dress.  At my age I dress for myself because it makes ME feel good. I often get compliments on my outfits and jewelry.

A quick story about my "fake" diamonds.  I gave the real one's to my daughters.  I had on several 'diamond/diamonique' bracelets and rings one day and my friend and I went to a well known very large Mall.  We walked into a few jewelry stores and each time the people working there came flying over to me to tell me my 'diamonds' and other jewelry were amazing!

What makes this funny is my friend had on real diamonds, but they were huge (like my 'fake' one's).  She and I always joke about me wearing these big 'fake' diamonds.

Respected Contributor

I am making a real effort to actually wear my jewelry every day.  If after a year I realize something is just sitting there.l..I'm going to pass it on to someone else to enjoy.  Though I'm retired and some days never go anywhere, I make a point to wear a few pieces each day.  Occasionally I'll pick up some inexpensive piece and enjoy wearing it.  No more expensive stuff at this stage of my life.  

Honored Contributor

I think when you have too much you really don't get to wear it often.  I like jewelry but don't care to have too much.  I want to enjoy the pieces I have and wear them more often.  Some women can't get enough jewelry but that is what they like.  Not me.    Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I wear few pieces and own way too much.  Just not important to me anymore unless it is symbolic for a special reason.

Super Contributor

Well, Squirrel Lover, I have a ridiculous amount of jewelry. I have always LOVED jewelry. I still have every piece I ever had, plus my grandma's, aunt's, and mom's.

i don't care if it's expensive or costume, if I like it, I like it.

i also once was part owner in a boutique, and I would always load up for myself at wholesale markets,  I now just go along with the owners but I still buy like I need it.

Funny, I sometimes go through a "plain" period when I don't wear any jewelry at all. Lol. I've been retired several years and certainly don't wear it near as much as I used to. 

So, to answer your question, I certainly don't need any new jewelry at all, but I guess it is now called a hobby or a collection. Lol

Respected Contributor

I love jewelry and have way too much of it as I have had many years to collect it..  I am at the point of my life now where I no longer buy expensive pieces of jewelry, but I am glad I bought it throughout my life. 

I wear jewelry everyday and I do change out to coordinate with what I am wearing each day.  I have so much, I forget exactly what I have so it is fun going through my many jewelry cabinets and trays and discovering the perfect piece I may have forgotten. I love to play with jewelry.

I have genuine pieces, lab created pieces, gold, silver and also plated pieces.  I have many costume pieces and I love the costume as much or more than the better pieces.   Have costume necklaces that are statement pieces and I love them - big noticable necklaces.  Love large rings also.  I say it shoud be big enough to notice - no small demure stuff for me.

I layer bracelets and layer long necklaces/chains and add a shorter one if I am not wearing a statement piece.    I do not wear rings layerd or on multiple fingers at the same time as I have noticed on others.  I wear one ring  on each hand.  If I wore smaller rings I would go for the layer or multiple finger look.  

For those of you who have not discovered on HSN Colleen Lopez's tarnish proof jewelry trays, they are an excellent way to store jewelry.  They come in a variety of sizes and styles - divided, no divider (good for necklaces and bracelets) and ring boxes and have clear tops so you can see what is in them and they are stackable.